• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Add Lines (Paths) to An Existing Open Path (InDesign)

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a 'mind map' graphic with lines between text-objects. I would like to be able to do so by using the Pen tool. To this end I created a line (open path) with 2 'sharp' changes in direction … rather like a Z. I want to be able to add to this by extending a line from one of the 'corners', while applying a radius to the other, then repeat the procedure to create what I would describe as a 'compound'-open-path on which all 'sharp' changes in direction are 'radiused', while junctions 3 (or more) lines remain 'sharp'.

Sorry if my terminology is lacking; I can't even provide an illustration. I thought I would be able to simply click on an anchor point to add more segments … but that didn't work. When I attempted to select just one corner to which apply a radius, it was applied to all corners. Clearly I am not well versed in InDesigns capabilities

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

When you take the Pen Tool to the End Point of a Path, you will see the Pen Tool cursor with a Slash next to it.

If you click on the End Point and then click somewhere else, you will find that the path has extended from the original end point to the newly created end point.

You can use the Convert Direction Point Tool (located beneath the Pen Tool) to change a Corner Point to a Smooth Point. Or use the Direct Selection Tool to select the anchor point that you want to convert and from the Pathfinde

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you take the Pen Tool to the End Point of a Path, you will see the Pen Tool cursor with a Slash next to it.

If you click on the End Point and then click somewhere else, you will find that the path has extended from the original end point to the newly created end point.

You can use the Convert Direction Point Tool (located beneath the Pen Tool) to change a Corner Point to a Smooth Point. Or use the Direct Selection Tool to select the anchor point that you want to convert and from the Pathfinder panel (Window > Object & Layout > Pathfinder), click on the 3rd or 4th icons in the bottom-most row.

Try it and see if you can get it to work as described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines