• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add one spread to a document of single pages?

Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The client wants a document consisting of a series of single pages BUT there is one graphic that is so dense and complex, I need to run it across a spread. We are producing PDFs, so this is not going to be a hassle for press printing. Any office printing of the doc can split the image.

I have created a bunch of single-page masters with different purposes (for FC, IFC, TOC, Body, Index, etc.) -- and one 2p spread master.

spread_image.png

But when I apply that 2p spread master to page 29 (in this case) -- expecting that page to magically morph into a two-page spread -- I still get only one page but with a footer from the I-spec_flyout master that extends rightwards out into pasteboard space, rather than the 2-page spread I was expecting. When I add an I-spec_flyout-based spread after p29, ID adds a single page after p29, again using the 2p master, and again with a footer that extends out onto the pasteboard. Most of my work has been on documents that are all spreads or that are all single pages, and I haven't had to combine the two in one doc, so this is a situation that I haven't encountered before. I have seen example layouts using multiple horizontal pages, so I know it can be done. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My guess is that there is a setting I have set incorrectly somewhere.

bad_spread.png

How do I add one spread to the middle of a stream of single pages so as to accommodate that big image? BTW, the position of this spread is not at the end of the doc. Single pages will have to pick up again on the other side.

Any help will be most appreciated.

-JW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

If you need to add the second page, do that (it will put it below your existing page)...then shift-select both pages and de-select "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle," then drag the page up next to the other page.pages 1.jpegpages 2.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to add the second page, do that (it will put it below your existing page)...then shift-select both pages and de-select "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle," then drag the page up next to the other page.pages 1.jpegpages 2.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply. It was unclear to me that I had to drag the number of the new page in order to attach it to the page above it. Merely attempting to drag it did no good. Once the two pages had been joined, the spread master took over and all was well.

Thanks again.

-JW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can actually drag it by the page too, not just the number. The trick is making sure you get close enough to get that little bracket that tells you you're close enough. I think by grabbing the number, it just got close enough sooner. But glad it worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines