Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add rollover text to a non-URL hyperlink

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've got an InDesign document that contains a simple side-bar menu containing links to chapters - see the attached image. The side-bar shows the relevant page number of each chapter -  these are all hyperlinked, so when exported to PDF it allows you to click to navigate to a particular page.

What I'm trying (and failing) to add is some text that pops up when you hover/roll over the numbers  showing the chapter title. So you can hover/roll the mouse over the number, see the chapter title and then click through to go to the page. I've tried the following:

a) changing the numbers to buttons and adding rollover text in the description - when I export to PDF it shows the rollover text but then removes the hyperlink

b) I've then tried to add the hyperlink as an action item in the button panel, however when exporting I get a message saying the 'Go to page' action doesn't work in PDF

c) I've also tried having two layers - the buttom on top with the rollover text and then the hyperlinked objects (page numbers) sitting behind them, but this still doesn't seem to work

It seems like such a simple thing to include rollover text but I just can't seem to find a solution. It seems to work on URL hyperlinks (i.e. you get a pop up of text and it also links) but not on page hyperlinks within a document.

Any thoughts or guidance are most welcome! Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

It's best to have "simple" hyperlinks; there will be issues with mobile devices with roll-over buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's best to have "simple" hyperlinks; there will be issues with mobile devices with roll-over buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines