Exit

How to align names?For example: front position, back name

Enthusiast ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to align names?

for example:

I saw that others said there was alignment to the grid, but I didn't realize it.

The method I'm using now is to adjust the word spacing to align. What better method do you have? It's better to demonstrate with examples.

Thank you~

--------------Sample text-----------------

ABCD  Piter
AB  Lucy
ABCDE  Riker

-------------------------------------------

name-align.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , How to , InCopy workflow , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would do is create a table for this text. Doing so would allow you to delete the En or Em Spaces you've used to separate the two columns. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.47.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good idea.

But here, forms are not suitable

Because the information provided by the customer is non form, there is no need to add form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you mean by forms? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see how you could do this with tabbed text because you are trying to mix justifications within the same paragraph—Full Justification on the left and Left Justification on the right.

If by forms you mean tables, you can convert tabbed text into a table where you can mix justifications. You could create Table and Cell Styles to automate the conversion:

tbl.png

Screen Shot 10.png

Similar to Scott’s table, but with 2-columns and Cell Styles to handle the different justifications and insets:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it with tabs IF you don't use fully justified alignment. If you're doing left, centered, right, or align to decimal, you can use tabs. So if you're ok with having just right aligned not fully justified for the name on the left, tabs will work like my reply below. If you do want to keep with fully justified, then I stand corrected that tabs will not work in this case, as Rob said. Apologies for assuming it would work with fully justified; I forgot that the final option was to align by decimal not fully justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for scripting help, try this below sample snippet:

var myDoc = app.documents[0];
var textFrame = myDoc.pages[0].textFrames[0];
app.findGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
app.changeGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeFootnotes = false;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeHiddenLayers = false;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeLockedLayersForFind = true;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeLockedStoriesForFind = true;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeMasterPages = false;
app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "~>~>";
var allEnSpace = textFrame.insertionPoints[0].parent.findGrep();
var maximumHorizontalDistance = null;
for(var i = 0; i < allEnSpace.length; i++){
    if(maximumHorizontalDistance == null){
        maximumHorizontalDistance = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
        }
    else if(maximumHorizontalDistance < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
        maximumHorizontalDistance = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
        }
    }
    var tempPara = allEnSpace[i].paragraphs[0];
    while(maximumHorizontalDistance > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
        var characterLength = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].index - tempPara.characters[0].index;
        var leftSpace = maximumHorizontalDistance - allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
        var defaultSpace = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].paragraphs[0].characters[0].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue;
        for(var c = tempPara.characters[0].index; c < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].index-1; c++){
            allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].select();
            allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue = parseInt(defaultSpace+10);
            myDoc.recompose();
            }
        }
    }

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script doesn't seem to work properly.

Sometimes it's the same position, only the first one is marked, and the last one is not written.

There is no "~ > ~ >" between them

It's with '\ t'

For example:

------------------------

ABCD Piter1

     Piter1

     Piter3
AB  Lucy
ABCDE  Riker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script doesn't seem to work properly.

Sometimes it's the same position, only the first one is marked, and the last one is not written.

It's with '\ t'

For example:

------------------------

ABCD Piter1

     Piter1

     Piter3
AB  Lucy
ABCDE  Riker

name-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many mistakes in Adobe forum that I can't edit my post

It can't be edited for five minutes.

I didn't pop up the menu for a long time.

It's with '\ t'

For example:

n2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this code snippet : 

var myDoc = app.documents[0];
var textFrame = myDoc.pages[0].textFrames[0];
app.findGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
app.changeGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeFootnotes = false;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeHiddenLayers = false;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeLockedLayersForFind = true;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeLockedStoriesForFind = true;
app.findChangeGrepOptions.includeMasterPages = false;
app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "\t";
var allEnSpace = textFrame.insertionPoints[0].parent.findGrep();
var maximumHorizontalDistance = null;
var majorTab = null;
    if(maximumHorizontalDistance == null){
        maximumHorizontalDistance = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset;
        }
    else if(maximumHorizontalDistance < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset){
        maximumHorizontalDistance = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset;
        majorTab = allEnSpace[i].characters[0];
        }
    }
    var tempPara = allEnSpace[i].paragraphs[0];
    if(parseFloat(parseFloat(maximumHorizontalDistance).toFixed(1)) > parseFloat(parseFloat(allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset).toFixed(1))){
        if(majorTab.tabStops.length > 0){
            var tempTabStop = null;
            if(allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops.length == 0) tempTabStop = allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops.add();
            else tempTabStop = allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops[0];
            tempTabStop.alignment = majorTab.tabStops[0].alignment;
            tempTabStop.position = majorTab.tabStops[0].position;
            }
        var characterLength = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].index - tempPara.characters[0].index;
        var leftSpace = maximumHorizontalDistance - allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
        var defaultSpace = allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].paragraphs[0].characters[0].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue;
        if(tempPara.characters[0].index < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].index-1){
            var mainHorizontalOffset = majorTab.insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
            var leftSpace = mainHorizontalOffset-allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset;
            while(mainHorizontalOffset > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
                for(var c = tempPara.characters[0].index; c < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].index-1; c++){
                    allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue = parseInt(defaultSpace+100);
                    }
                }
            while(mainHorizontalOffset < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
                    allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue = parseInt(defaultSpace-50);
                    }
                }
            while(mainHorizontalOffset > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
                    allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue = parseInt(defaultSpace+10);
                    }
                }
            while(mainHorizontalOffset < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
                    allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].parent.characters[c].insertionPoints[-1].kerningValue = parseInt(defaultSpace-10);
                    }
                }
            if(mainHorizontalOffset > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[0].horizontalOffset){
                var tempTabStop = null;
                if(allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops.length == 0) tempTabStop = allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops.add();
                else tempTabStop = allEnSpace[i].characters[0].tabStops[0];
                var values = [10, 5, 1, 0.1, 0.01, 0.001];
                for(var n = 0; n < values.length; n++){
                    while(maximumHorizontalDistance > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset) tempTabStop.position = tempTabStop.position+values[n];
                    while(maximumHorizontalDistance < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset) tempTabStop.position = tempTabStop.position-values[n];
                    }
                }
            }
        else if(tempPara.characters[0].index == allEnSpace[i].characters[0].index){
            var tempTabStop = null;
            if(tempPara.characters[0].tabStops.length == 0) tempTabStop = tempPara.characters[0].tabStops.add();
            else tempTabStop = tempPara.characters[0].tabStops[0];
            var values = [10, 5, 1, 0.1, 0.01, 0.001];
            for(var n = 0; n < values.length; n++){
                while(maximumHorizontalDistance > allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset) tempTabStop.position = tempTabStop.position+values[n];
                while(maximumHorizontalDistance < allEnSpace[i].insertionPoints[-1].horizontalOffset) tempTabStop.position = tempTabStop.position-values[n];
                }
            }
        }
    }

[Edited]

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Sunil Yadav

The foot you provided doesn't seem to work.

I clicked, but there was no response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share idnesign file or IDML.

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using tabs. Create a paragraph style for this text, then in the options for it, go to Tabs. There you can set places for where you want each name to line up. The example I set up for you below shows the first tab as being right aligned (look very closely at the top of the arrow shortly before the 6) and the second one being left aligned (currently hightlighed in blue because it's selected). So you will need to put a tab character in before the first name and between the first name and the second name to get them to line up at the tab stops you created. You can drag and drop these tab stops to modify them, but I find it easier to do once you have your text on the page and can watch it move. If you want to have dots going between them, that's what the Leader box is for. You can just do a "." or you can do " ." (space then period) to have it spaced out more, etc.

Hope this helps!tab setting.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, if you're new to tabs, you click on the gray arrows above the ruler to pick which alignment you want (see the example above) and then click where you want it on the ruler. You can adjust the alignment of whichever tab you have highlighted in blue by clicking on a different grey arrow. You can adjust the tab position by dragging and dropping it elsewhere on the ruler. And if you no longer want that tab, drag it off the ruler and it will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just 2 para styles and 2 Grep Find/Replace!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-22 à 19.06.39.pngCapture d’écran 2021-01-22 à 19.04.12.pngCapture d’écran 2021-01-22 à 19.03.51.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point on the GREP!

Ok, so I will amend my statement in that tabs will work for left, centered, right, or decimal alignments, but not fully justified for the name on the left. If you decide just right aligned will work for the one on the left, here's an example of how you can do it. Otherwise, you will need a table as mentioned above. tab demo.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"… , you will need a table as mentioned above."

Absolutely not!  Did you see something that looks like a "table" in my screenshots? 😉

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! 🙂 Thank you! I meant an earlier reply. I appreciated you chiming in on the GREP find/replace! I love being able to automate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FRIdNGE~

Sorry, the language is different. It's difficult to understand.

I want to know what your character style is?

The content may be:

AB Piter

Davi

bily

ABC lucy

ABCD majia

ABCDEF gulaly

All to align the longest position ABCDEF

Is there a sample?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what-12.jpgAnd what's the picture?

Is it a form?

I don't want to use a form?

I think the best is paragraph style + grep, calling character style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line is two paragraphs with a baseline shift applied to the second paragraph to align it with the first paragraph. You could do it but I think a table is going to be easier to edit:

Set the first paragraph to fully justify with a Right Indent to clear the width of the second paragraph:

Screen Shot 8.png

Screen Shot 4.png

Set the 2nd paragraph to Align Left with a Baseline Shift equal to the Leading, and a Left Indent large enough to clear the first paragraph:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, thanks for the explanation of the way I show!

… You forgot the "0 pt" leading setting for the second para style!  ðŸ˜‰

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also works if the Leadings and the 2nd paragraph’s Baseline Shift are all the same:

12pt:

Screen Shot 9.png

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines