• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to alter text alignment for interactive text fields?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to make an interactive form in inDesign with reasonable success, but there is one feature that I need to make the whole thing work; the capability to centre the text in the text field box that I have drawn. The Buttons and Forms tab gives me the option to change text size, but that seems to be the only option available in terms of text formatting.

Knowing how to do other features such as making inputted text bold or underlined would also be helpful.

I have looked around on tutorials but none seem to address my specific issue as far as I'm aware. If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Can’t be done natively in InDesign. Try in Acrobat. Tools > Forms > Edit. Double click on the text field to get Properties. Change its Alignment in Options tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can’t be done natively in InDesign. Try in Acrobat. Tools > Forms > Edit. Double click on the text field to get Properties. Change its Alignment in Options tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but don't fix it in Acrobat until the form is finished, because if you have to update the form in InDesign, and output a new PDF, you will lose the editing you added in Acrobat.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. You could always use the replace pages command in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all possible with our FormMagic | Id-Extras.com

A free edition is available for short forms.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, offer a version that one can purchase without a recurring charge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

put fillable text boxes where you want them in InDesign then export pdf (interactive). Open pdf in Acrobat then click on tools tab>prepare form. Double click on fillable text box to open panel and under options select Center under Alignment drop down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was extremely helpful - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone seen or heard any reasoning behind why you can't do this natively in InDesign? It doesn't make much sense to me why Adobe wouldn't allow you to set these things to be applied upon export, instead of having to jump between programs (and to another user's reply, potentially have to reformat if any updates to the base form need to be made). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with jaberle!

However all I hear is crickets!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done in InDesign! - In Buttons and Forms palette, when choosing options for the fillable box. Make sure the Multiline checkbox is ticked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY HERO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate on this a little? The "multiline" option does not give me any obvious way of setting text alignment. The Buttons and Forms box looks the same whether it's checked or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, thank sooooo much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines