Highlighted

How to apply different TOC style to existing TOC in InDesign

Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Is it possible to apply a different TOC style to an existing TOC, without having to place a new TOC? Updating an existing TOC updates it with the same style it is currently using. I am not able to update it with a different style.

Thanks.

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Creamer Training | Adobe Community Professional

InDesign can't duplicate the TOC style directly, but you can do this in about 10 seconds:

1. Open your document with the TOC
  2. Go to Layout > Table of Contents (not Styles)
  3. Select your TOC Style at the top
  4. Click the Save Style button and rename
  5. Cancel this dialog box
  6. Go to Table of Contents Style and your copy will be there
  7. Edit copy as needed.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to apply different TOC style to existing TOC in InDesign

Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Is it possible to apply a different TOC style to an existing TOC, without having to place a new TOC? Updating an existing TOC updates it with the same style it is currently using. I am not able to update it with a different style.

Thanks.

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Creamer Training | Adobe Community Professional

InDesign can't duplicate the TOC style directly, but you can do this in about 10 seconds:

7. Edit copy as needed.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sPretzel,

as far as I can see this is not possible.

You can use a custom named TOC Style and change this later.

But this has no immediate effect on an existing TOC.

To change it you have to update it.

What can be done:

If you want to change the applied paragraph styles or character styles:

Change the styles themselves. That has an immediate effect.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 1
Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe. Thanks for your prompt response. That is also what I am seeing. I have some manual styling applied to the story frame where the TOC resides that are not part of other styles so I wanted to preserve those. Unfortunately, it looks as though the only way is to apply those manual styling elements again once the TOC style is changed to a different sytle. Oh well...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a "Replace Existing Table of Contents" option in the TOC menu, but it is greyed out. I wonder why.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can any of this formatting be created using nested styles or grep styles as part of the paragraph styles used in the TOC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is grayed out because there is no TOC in the document that is styled with that custom TOC style?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe. That's right, there is no TOC styled in the document with that TOC style because that's the style I wanted to change it to. If I select the current style, then the "Replace Existing Table of Contents" is not greyed out, but that means you have to replace the TOC with the same style!

IDEAS-Training. No, I don't think so (or maybe it is not worth it) since the manual style changes are related to the Text Frame Options holding the TOC, not to the TOC itself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you load the TOC style if necessary, dupe the style, and make modifications to it?

Replacing the TOC should affect the frame. Just to be sure, an Object style would simplify that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 2
Participant ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IDEAS. I'm not sure I understood what you mean. I don't think the TOC style affects Text Frame Options. As you said, an Object style would do that. I didn't want to make modifications to the current style because I wanted to keep the style (for future use). I am not aware of how I can duplicate a TOC style (is that what you meant by "dupe"?). If I could duplicate the TOC style, I would duplicate the current TOC style, save it, then modify the current style and save it with a new name. I could have done that in the existing text frame and that would have solved my problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7. Edit copy as needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 1
Participant ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IDEAS. I had done exactly that but when I save the modified TOC style as a new style with a different name, it loads the cursor with the new modified TOC style, that I then have to place somewhere. It doesn't apply the new TOC style to the existing frame with the existing TOC style.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the old TOC text and run the revised TOC as if it was the first time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0
sPretzel LATEST
Participant ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try your latest suggestion IDEAS though I had already "duplicated" the TOC before (just as you described) but placed it in its own frame and manually made the modifications again to that frame. Daft but a halfway-there solution. Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0