• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to auto place one image on each page?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a book and automatically import/place one image on each page.  All images are the exact same size. 

I am hoping there is a template I can set up and script to run so I don't have to do this manually.  

Thanks for your help!

Leanne

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Leanne,

InDesign's Data Merge will work for what you want to do. Below are a couple of links that should guide you, if not there's plenty of other online resources you can "Google"

https://creativepro.com/topic/data-merge-with-images/

https://redokun.com/blog/data-merge-indesign

Edit: here's another link that will help with creating the data source if you don't already have one.

https://creativepro.com/import-folder-full-pictures-page/

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the image has to be on the full page, you can use the “ImageCatalog” script which you can find in the script panel of all the InDesign versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Leanne,

did you already set up the document? If not:

Add a new document with one single page. Provide a placeholder graphic frame on the first page. Set the frame fitting options to your liking. Now select the page in the Pages panel, duplicate the page one time. Next select all the pages, duplicate the two pages one time. Do this until you reach the number of pages you need.

If you already have a document with many pages:

Add a placeholder graphic frame on the first page, with a facing-pages document add another one to the other side of the spine. Set the frame fitting options to your liking. Copy both frames to the clipboard. Go to the next spread and do:

Edit > Paste In Place

Do that with all your spreads if needed.

Have no frame or text selected for the next step:

To place all your images first load them all into the cursor (placegun) with File > Place…

It needs one click per page to place the images throughout your document ( unload the filled cursor above a placeholder frame with one click ) and a bit steering to the next placeholder frame using the scrollwheel of your input device or mouse.

This takes all in all under 5 minutes to place 100 images, I think.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines