Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to break each page when exporting the EPUB in CS6

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

When I am exporting an Adobe Indesign CS6 document to epub , the EPUB file does not break the pages according to what I had in Adobe Indesign.

For example I have the following format in Adobe Indesign :

Page 1 : Title Page

Page 2 : Section One

Page 3 : Section Two

but when I export as epub, Title page does NOT have a separate page for it self, and section one comes after Title page

now, I want to export to EPUB exactly as what I have in Adobe Indesign - All page breaks should be according to the original documents in Indesign

can anybody help please?

thank you

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to designate what paragraph styles should start on a new page. In InDesign CS6, open the Paragraph Styles panel. From the panel menu, choose Edit All Export Tags. Select the paragraph styles which you want to Split the EPUB. Then when you export EPUB, on the Advanced panel, choose Split Document: Based on Paragraph Style Export Tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible to split the document based on pages ? because I have like 150 pages and each one has different paragraph style

it will take a lot of time to do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pages would only work if each page was a different InDesign document, and you included them all in the InDesign book file (.indb). Then each page would be a chapter, and would create a separate XHTML file.

Those are probably the only two semi-practical suggestions that would work. There is no <page break> command, sorry.

To start on a new page, you have to create a new XHTML file one way or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so is it possible to convert pages to chapters atuomatically ?

I have the 150 pages in one adobe indesign file (.indd)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. I suspect that there must be scripts floating around for that. People like Peter Spier, who would probably know, tend not to look at the EPUB threads so you may want to repost with the title, Scripts for Breaking InDesign Files, then explain why you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this refresher. Related question: I think I vaguely remember that you can only designate one paragraph style for this Export Tag method of Doc splitting. Is that true? Or can I split with 2 or more Export Tags? Like Chapter Title and Sub-Chapter Title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6, you can designate multiple paragraph styles to break. That's one of the advantages of upgrading to CS6 for EPUB work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news! Thank you for your wonderful help (quick, free and precise)! Yes, it is due to such CS6 features that I chose to subscribe to CC. Thanks again! Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said, and it simply did not work for me. My chapter titles were butted up under the last line in the previous chapter. I selected the style for digital chapters when i did this, and the split function. in ereader, it does not show the chapters beginning on the next page. Any idea why this isn't working? I'm using ID CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Italian:

GRAZIE!

Alla fine ho risolto parzialmente come mi dicevi. praticamente in AI ho nascosto il testo e fatto come dicevi tu premio_oscar‌‌  cosi inserivo soltanto l'immagine (altrimenti mi inseriva pure il testo)

Poi per il testo, l'ho esportato in TXT, poi da TXT l'ho salvato in RTF (per chi non lo sappia fare: aprire il file .txt, --> salva come... --> selezionare "tutti i file" come formato --> aggiungere .rtf alla fine del titolo del file )

ma che processo lungo!!! ma va bene, ce l'ho fatta!! =D grazie mille a te e a tutti gli altri che hanno risposto

Ora mi sorge un' altro dubbio, quando aggiungo una immagine che intendo usare como sfondo e poi salvo l'epub, l'immagine si prende parte della pagina e il testo che dovrebbe essere sopra l'immagine finisce in un' altra pagina. come posso fare per:

1) far si' che l'immagine riempia tutta la pagina (forse lo devo fare con un css? )

2) fare in modo che il testo finisca sopra l'immagine e non in una pagina diversa (ho letto che si doveva fare " object-->arrange --> send backwards" ma l'opzione è disabilitata)

-----------------------------

English:
I partially solved the problem doing as you told me. i practically hid the text in the .AI file and then placed it (file--> place...).

as for the text, i exported the AI file as .TXT, then changed it to .RTF (for those who don't know how to do it: open the text file -->save as... --> select "all files" as the format --> add .rtf at the end of the file name. )

(La parte in inglese l'ho scritta soltanto per chi abbia un problema come il mio ma non capisca come risolverlo per non capire l'italiano)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read through the previous posts in this very old thread, but you need to apply Paragraph (and Character) Styles to all of the text. In the Paragraph Style for the Chapter headings that you want to start a new page you need to tick Split Document (EPUB only) under the Export Tagging tab, and under the EPUB - Reflowable Layout Export Options under the General Tab tick Split Document and Single Paragraph Style select the particular Paragraph Style from the drop-down menu.

You can also look at the Edit All Export Tags dialogue box.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 12.38.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These instructions make sense in that they are clear, but they don't address the issue of keeping particular content to its own page.

For example, let's say I have paragraph styles set up for every type of text like:

- body-text-indent

- body-text-no indent

- pull quote

- chapter opener

- etc, etc.

So I want copyright info on it's on page and that text is set to "body-text-no indent." I have a pull quote on its own page set to "pull quote" style. Chapter opener, and so on. If I only have the option to chose one paragraph style under Split Document when I export, how does that address the need for keeping differently tagged content on its own page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone got an answer to this? I have the same problem. Just cannot get my ePub file to look anything like the indesign verson. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This post is about CS6 which is now 8 versions out of date. Please start a new discussion with full details including screenshots and your EPUB export settings.

I'm going to lock this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines