• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change image and frame size together?

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I placed a new image into my InDesign document. Now when I try to resize this image using the points on the corner, it is resizing only the frame and causing my image to cut off. How can I make sure both the image and frame are being resized instead of just one?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Hey, isn't the easiest and fastest way to do this Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + dragging a handle?

Brandon is placing an image, so what happens depends on what tool happens to be selected during the place.

So if I have the white Direct Selection tool (or most other tools) active during the place and then Command-Shift drag, l get this:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 6.15.33 PM.png

With the Text tool active I get this and is what Brandon is describing:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 6.24.42 PM.png

Command-Shift Works when the black Selection tool is active, so I can hit V to get it, or E to get Tr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down the command key / ctrl key, wait 3 seconds and change frame.

If this fails (what sometimes happen), select the frame, in the application bar (control bar at the top) check Autor-fit. Then resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a blue frame and a brown frame.  If you have the brown frame selected, it seems that that is the image, and however you move or resize it, it will always be clipped by the blue frame which is the containing object (even though you can't see them separately in the list of layers).

If you manage to get the blue frame selected, you can resize or move both together.

I fiddled around for ages and eventually managed to get this working after unchecking and rechecking 'auto-fit', then found I could get blue frame selected with regular selection tool (black arrow) which I could not before.

I have InDesign 2014.  I don't know if these usability bugs and UX issues have been addressed since then, but as a result of them I prefer to use Illustrator as much as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha.  When using Selection Tool you need to avoid clicking in the centre of the thing you want to resize or move.  If you get a 'hand' (AKA pointer - not the default arrow) cursor when hovering you need to move to the edge to get the black arrow selection cursor to select the object usefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need to hold Ctrl+Shift (on Windows) to resize the frame to preserve aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Free Transform tool (E) instead of the Selection tool (V).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, isn't the easiest and fastest way to do this Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + dragging a handle?

Ctrl (Cmd) here is for resizing frame and content simultaneously, Shift - for maintaining original proportions.

No special selections or waiting needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brandon is placing an image, so what happens depends on what tool happens to be selected during the place.

So if I have the white Direct Selection tool (or most other tools) active during the place and then Command-Shift drag, l get this:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 6.15.33 PM.png

With the Text tool active I get this and is what Brandon is describing:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 6.24.42 PM.png

Command-Shift Works when the black Selection tool is active, so I can hit V to get it, or E to get Transform. With Transform all I need is Shift to constrain, and then it has the advantage of rotations and shears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that what I exactly want to know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still relevant in 2023... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+Shift (Cmd+Shift) to change image size proportionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines