• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change language in InDesign? I would like to change it from Russian to English

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to change language in InDesign? I would like to change it from Russian to English

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know this also, although for Chinese. I'm running 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to change the correct language of your text? You have to adjust the paragraph and character styles.

You need to have a Chinese Version installed.

Do you want to change the user interface, if you have a Chinese OS you can change the language in the CC Desktop Application and install ADDITIONALLY the Chinese version. This is also the correct way to install Chinese functionality, if you want to stay with an English or Western UI and run InDesign it will always choose the UI according to the OS settings, if this UI is available and installed.

If you want to run a Chinese UI on a Western OS, you have to uninstall all Western languages before.

Same is valid accordingly for all other languages too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alinetteka

Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2015 (32-bit)\Presets\InDesign Shortcut Sets

Check it out for further http://indesignsecrets.com/change-ui-language-indesign-cs6-cc.php

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shotcut sets have nothing to do with the change of language, neither with UI nor with text language. Shortcuts are more related to the keyboard layout. Ok, this has some relation to the language where the user comes from, but it could be very different to the language of program or OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Shotcut sets have nothing to do with the change of language, neither with UI nor with text language. "

Really, I don't know why you mislead people ('cause it's difficult believing that you may not know that), but if you pursuit to change the UI language YOU REALLY MUST GO TO THE FOLDER SPECIFIED ABOVE BY philippanmei with the 'InDesign Shortcut Sets' and exchange the folder name (default language is ru_RU in my case) to en_US (if you need U.S. English). I've just done this by my own hands with InDesign CC 2017. And - surprise! - it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works with CC 2020. Idiotic way to change a UI language, but hey.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has worked for me too on Adobe InDesign CC 2020. I had 10 or so different languages in the shortcut sets folder. I removed (relocated first) all the languages I didn't want (particularly Russian) and left en (GB) folder. It worked, my UI is now in GB english. Serious bug Adobe, you should make the software multilingual to begin with anyway, like other software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines