• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the direction of Text placed from Word file?

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apologies, I had this in another thread but the problem is still happening on a new document. On top of that I still have the ME version even though I thought I had reverted back to the normal CC version.

I use InDesign ME version

When I place text from a Word doc, the flow is incorrect in english. The cross hair is on the left which is not correct.

I need to change the direction of the flow.  I have already applied adobe world ready composer, and made sure it is English UK.  What else? I cannot get the flow correct unless I copy from Word and then paste into Indesign using the normal T tool (not ME tool).

I have tried everything... help

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no ME version many years. What language version do you really use it now?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is odd then... you could be right....

I use mainly for english but sometimes some hebrew stuff

it has an ME tool maybe that is why I thought it was a different one.

either way... when I insert a word doc... the text flows the wrong way. I have changed all settings I can think of in character, in paragraph, in all places I can think of. The flow is as per screen shot from right to left and I can change it of course but seems wrong that this is the case. help... any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> but sometimes some hebrew stuff

Are you have installed this version?:

2020-07-23_13-44-07.png

About your problem - do paragraph style with flow settings that you are need, apply it in the place where you will place .docx and then place it. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no. I have the english option installed but it still has ME above the text tools in toolpanel

there must be something else I can do. It doesn't seem correct that every time I place text into InDesign it does the right to left which is not correct.  It never used to do this... I know I can do paragraph styles but  why would it place like this in the first place.. the wrong way around when I have the english version installed and not hebrew.

IMG_5845.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no another way. You're need to use it periodically Hebrew - install Hebrew version of ID and forget about your "bug" or "strange feature". 

Hebrew version have too English interface. Don't worry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need the hebrew version.

are you saying all InDesign users have this problem? it couldn't be.. I sometimes load large documents and it is a real pain to fix this.

also changing the para styles doesn't help. I have to copy and paste into a new text frame to get it to even start. There must be something going on, as I have used InDesign for years and years and this is a new problem... it wasn't always like this. It doesn't make sense. I don't need the hebrew version. I can use a script. I don't have it installed anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> are you saying all InDesign users have this problem?

Nope. But you was confused me by this saying - 

>> I use InDesign ME version

>>  I don't need the hebrew version. I can use a script. 

Why not install Hebrew version if you work periodically with right-to-left text? Are you fear a few new text settings? Time is money. 

>> I don't have it installed anyway.

>> I have tried everything... help

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-error-new/td-p/1...

Ok, is your "everything" contains all from this link?

10 minutes instead of days here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I had switched over from ME version to English international (there is a ME version, or actually the language installed). There was a glitch that wasn't changing me back to english international. Spoke to Adobe, and they confirmed what I thought which was to uninstall and re install InDesign which I have now done. If you use the english/hebrew version it will indeed have flow of all imported text right to left so it is working ok now. I had done all the steps but the change over had not worked.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> which was to uninstall and re install InDesign which I have now done.

Is it hepls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello.. anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign ME version

When I place text from a Word doc, the flow is incorrect in english. The cross hair is on the left which is not correct.

I need to change the direction of the flow.  I have already applied adobe world ready composer, and made sure it is English UK.  What else? I cannot get the flow correct unless I copy from Word and then paste into Indesign using the normal T tool (not ME tool).

I have tried everything... help

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. While placing the Word file, please select "Show Import Options" and make sure "Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables" is selected.

show import options.png    preserve styles while importing text.png

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.. I had tried this and it still didn't work. 

If I copy from Word into Indesign it works but I of course will lose any italics etc if I do this.

In the end I have disabled ME version, and had to go back to normal version which is a bit of a pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that, Ben. Could you please share a sample Word file with me? I have ME version installed on my machine. I can try replicating that. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I tried everything but I could not work it 

end the end I have de installed ME and now installed normal version... not what I wanted to do but it is ok I guess.

thanks for offering to help.

I can send you the doc.. if you want can still do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! Please upload the file to Creative Cloud (or similar service) and share the download link.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BenjiL,

if you still like to test copy/paste you could preserve some formatting by using a script written by Marc Autret:

RichPaste | Copy and Paste with Minimal Formatting [UPDATE]
Marc Autret, April 06, 2016

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2015/10/richpaste-copy-and-paste-with-minimal-formatting

Installing a script:
http://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this a common problem or am I going mad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps both.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I am going mad as well when importing doc or docx files. They could be created in various apps, not only with MS Word. Sometimes it helps to open them in MS Word and save them with a new name from there.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol

thanks for trying to help

all good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this same problem..

1/ cannot seem to change my InDesign version using the gear in the cc app to make it only english.. it says it is english international version but it is still the ME version.Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 1.39.17 pm.png

2/ see attached screen shot.  If I place text it comes in with the right to left instead of left to right. I have to go into the text and fix every time I place any text... help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello someone... help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Could you please confirm the language of the operating system? You need to uninstall the current version completely. Then change the language in the Creative Cloud to "English International" and reinstall the application.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines