Highlighted

How to control case in cross-references in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem that regarding cross-references. I have figures set with automatic numbering across my InDesign file, set with a specific paragraph style. So, the figure 1-text is set as "Figure 1 - Circuit diagram". Now, in a sentence in the text i write something like "See explanation of the problem in figure 1." I would off course like to use cross-references, so if I add another figure, everything updates.

Now, the best option is to choose "Paragraph number" in the Cross-reference formats-box, but this returns "Figure 1" with a capital "F". I want a lower case f, and this is the problem.

I have tried to make a work around, so if only the number of the figure could be shown, I could write the "figure" myself and InDesign could fill in the number, but this does not seem to be possible.

Is the a way to either 1) only have InDesign return the figure number or 2) have InDesign use lower case letttering in the cross-reference?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

As Barb indicated, there is no built-in way to control the case, but you can use a GREP Find/Change to apply a fix. Make sure that you're applying a character style in your cross reference setup, even if it doesn't apply any formatting, then use the following Find/Change settings:

Find what: F(igure\s\d{1,3})

Change to: f$1

Find Format: FigureCalloutCharacterStyleName

You would run this once you've placed all figures in your document.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to control case in cross-references in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem that regarding cross-references. I have figures set with automatic numbering across my InDesign file, set with a specific paragraph style. So, the figure 1-text is set as "Figure 1 - Circuit diagram". Now, in a sentence in the text i write something like "See explanation of the problem in figure 1." I would off course like to use cross-references, so if I add another figure, everything updates.

Now, the best option is to choose "Paragraph number" in the Cross-reference formats-box, but this returns "Figure 1" with a capital "F". I want a lower case f, and this is the problem.

I have tried to make a work around, so if only the number of the figure could be shown, I could write the "figure" myself and InDesign could fill in the number, but this does not seem to be possible.

Is the a way to either 1) only have InDesign return the figure number or 2) have InDesign use lower case letttering in the cross-reference?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

As Barb indicated, there is no built-in way to control the case, but you can use a GREP Find/Change to apply a fix. Make sure that you're applying a character style in your cross reference setup, even if it doesn't apply any formatting, then use the following Find/Change settings:

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MikHva:

I played with this for a while, but I don't see a way to achieve this in InDesign.

FrameMaker—Adobe's other page layout application—has two building blocks: ParaNum and ParaNumOnly. The latter allows you to collect just the paragraph number (excluding the text) from the autonumber and pull in into the x-ref. InDesign only has the former. You can put in a feature request for potential inclusion of ParaNumOnly an upcoming release: https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

In the meantime, my editors prefer that the references have capital letters, so if I presented them with "See explanation of the problem in figure 1." they would tell me to correct it as follows "See explanation of the problem in Figure 1." You might want to double check that you need to change the case before you abandon the autonumbers or x-refs, both of which are significant timesavers.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the advice. I will put in a feature request.

I am sure you and your editors are right about keeping upper case in English. I'm from Denmark, and in Danish we are sadly required to make "figure" lower case. 

Thanks again

Mikkel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A more efficient update to the above GREP Find/Change: 

Find what: F(?=igure\s\d{1,3})

Change to: f

This should run faster on large documents since it's not capturing content in the parentheses.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1
Advocate ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Too funny!

Cross-ref. format = f<paraNum />

Grep style: f\KF

char style: +invisible

That's all Folks!  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0