• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert footnote sequencing in book layout

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a book manuscript at the publisher. Their designer is using InDesign. They have the endnotes set up to accrue consecutively in the book. The book has 17 chapters, each by a different author-contributor. The endnotes appear at the end of each chapter. There are well over 500 footnotes.

I am insistent that the endnotes begin at “1” with each chapter.

But the publisher says, “… the endnotes will remain consecutive. The endnote feature in INDD is not very robust, and we would have to renumber each note in the text and at the end of the chapters by hand. It may have had to do with the Word document set-up and import in INDD as well.

It looks really unprofessional to have an article begin with footnote #389. Is there a simple way to convert endnote sequencing in InDesign from “consecutive” to “beginning at 1 with each chapter”? Please, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Hi Werner,

there is no synching feature in the Book panel to synch footnote numbers or endnote numbers throughout a whole book file.

You have to make sure to start with the right footnote or endnote number document by document.

A tedious process, I know…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Derek. That looks easy enough.

However, the book I have at the publisher has endnotes, not footnotes, meaning the endnotes appear as a list at the end of each chapter. I just read one support thread in this forum that says that while continuous footnotes can be converted to footnotes beginning at 1 with each chapter, when it comes to continuous endnotes, the conversion option is not available, or much more difficult.

Any suggestions? Can you add any insight?

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC2019 introduced new end-notes features. I don't know myself about renumbering, but I would have thought that's possible. If you don't get an answer on here, pose the question on the InDesign Secrets Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/indesignsecrets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Werner,

there is no synching feature in the Book panel to synch footnote numbers or endnote numbers throughout a whole book file.

You have to make sure to start with the right footnote or endnote number document by document.

A tedious process, I know…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe, for your reply and help.

Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Derek. This is helpful.

Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines