• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert table into formatted directory listing (Excel or Google Sheets --> InDesign)

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I have an excel/Google-sheets list of the 300 families in my kids’ elementary school (name, grade, family address(es), phone, email, etc.). 
  • I want to magically change each row (1 row per child) into a nicely-formatted list for my InDesign online school directory. 
  • I can build a table in InDesign and import the date but was hoping not to rearrange 300 entries manually but instead to make/use a formula so each child's name and grade was on a row, parental name (eg. from column F) below on a 2nd row, address on 3rd row, repeat x 299! 

All suggestions welcome! Thanks. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll want to set up a Data Merge document. The hitch is that ID doesn't create a long column of text by default, but there are some scripts out there that do that. Do a search for InDesign Inline Merge and you will find an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines