Highlighted

How to create a Multi-level book indesign with chapters and subchapters as separate .indd files

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm creating a indb. book with indesign.

The books organisation has undergone reshuffling so some chapters have now become subchapters but still have their own .indd file. I would like to keep them as separate files if possible, as each is about 100 pages and numerous people are working within thebook at the same time so having separate chapter files makes work flow easier.

Want I would like to achieve is this organisation:

1. Introduction

2. Research

2.1. & 2.2. etc. Research Topics

3. Vision

4. Conclusion

Due to the reshuffling I have run into problems with some item referencing and text linking up properly.

• Currently at the start of each chapter is a text variable for the chapter number, is it possible to also create one for the subchapters? This would be helpful incase chapters are rearranged again
  • I have a figures reference setup which is keyed to when everything was its own individual chapter number.

Currently they appear as 'Fig 0#-###:' however the subchapters continue as if were chapters, when I would like them to appear as 'Fig 0#.#-###' .What is the best way to enable that the subchapter indd. files are referenced properly?

Fig Caption Black.PNG

•  Also, an additional question. Is it possible to add footnotes without having to add a reference number?
  •  

Sorry for all the questions, I am a bit lost currently and open to any suggestions.

Thank you for your help in advance, hopefully I clarified my current problem, if not I will try to explain better 🙂

Adam

In an InDesign book (.indb file) you can't designate sub-chapters.

I would handle that via the paragraph style numbering. Set up two paragraph styles: chapter numbers (which are already in place) and the sub-chapter numbers, and then assign them to the appropriate chapters. If the book gets reorganized, just open the chapters and re-assign the first paragraph of those impacted. It won't take more than few minutes—you just have to remember to do it. 

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to create a Multi-level book indesign with chapters and subchapters as separate .indd files

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm creating a indb. book with indesign.

The books organisation has undergone reshuffling so some chapters have now become subchapters but still have their own .indd file. I would like to keep them as separate files if possible, as each is about 100 pages and numerous people are working within thebook at the same time so having separate chapter files makes work flow easier.

Want I would like to achieve is this organisation:

1. Introduction

2. Research

2.1. & 2.2. etc. Research Topics

3. Vision

4. Conclusion

Due to the reshuffling I have run into problems with some item referencing and text linking up properly.

• Currently at the start of each chapter is a text variable for the chapter number, is it possible to also create one for the subchapters? This would be helpful incase chapters are rearranged again
  • I have a figures reference setup which is keyed to when everything was its own individual chapter number.

Currently they appear as 'Fig 0#-###:' however the subchapters continue as if were chapters, when I would like them to appear as 'Fig 0#.#-###' .What is the best way to enable that the subchapter indd. files are referenced properly?

Fig Caption Black.PNG

•  Also, an additional question. Is it possible to add footnotes without having to add a reference number?
  •  

Sorry for all the questions, I am a bit lost currently and open to any suggestions.

Thank you for your help in advance, hopefully I clarified my current problem, if not I will try to explain better 🙂

Adam

I would handle that via the paragraph style numbering. Set up two paragraph styles: chapter numbers (which are already in place) and the sub-chapter numbers, and then assign them to the appropriate chapters. If the book gets reorganized, just open the chapters and re-assign the first paragraph of those impacted. It won't take more than few minutes—you just have to remember to do it. 

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines