• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create digital magazine like Wired!

Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I'm kinda new here but very experienced with InDesign. I've been creating all types of materials using InDesign, but I'd like to create a digital publication like Wired Magazine. Here's what I'm looking to do: https://youtu.be/u98v6xPQzd4
Can anyone tell me how this is done?
Thanks in advance for any tips.

Randall

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was done with DPS which is a dead service / product. That video is from 2010!

Closest you'll come to that using InDesign is with in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually found a similar video on Adobe.com many years ago and have been looking for information on how to do that ever since. Kind of embarrassing that I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I've heard of In5, but haven't really checked it out yet. Will do that now. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you want people to access the magazine and what platforms does it need to be tailored for? I haven’t used it myself but did you try the Experience Manager Mobile Article export on an interactive InDesign file to see if that will do anything close to what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to make it available and viewable on any iOs or Android device, and would like it to look just as it was designed to look. I don't mind creating landscape and portrait layouts to make that happen. I'm not familiar with the Experience Manger Mobile ARticle export, but will look into it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like in5 is the way to go. Keep us posted and especially if you need original content created for the magazine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to pay for the in5 plug-in and you're not monetising your content, have a look at InDesign's Publish Online facility, easy to produce if you know InDesign.

Examples: https://indd.adobe.com/view/c2c7aa96-405e-488f-8902-e1d96c1bea4f/#02

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the publish online feature, but that comes out looking like a cheesy flipbook like you'd make on one of those free digital magazine sites. I want it to look as much like Wired magazine, which is very professional and modern, even though the video is 10+ years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, the InDesign plugin (at extra cost) in5 is the way to go: 

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you done training on the panels used to create those type of interactive and more?

if not, I recommend you watch these courses;

https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Developing-Multistate-Objects-InDesign/197346-2.html

https://www.lynda.com/Digital-Publishing-Suite-tutorials/Adobe-Digital-Publishing-Suite-Interactive-...

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines