• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create epub using InDesign

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create an epub from a Word doc. It has tables and images so I need to be able to package properly. 

Is this possible in InDesign? 

Previously I've used Vellum. It's really intuitive. 

I've tried placing the Word doc and style mapping. It's a mess. 

Is there any easy way to do epubs in InDesign? Adobe adverts imply this is a piece of cake. IMO it's not. 

I'm familiar with making print books in ID. This isn't about exporting. It's about from-scratch using a Word doc. 

Can anyone point me to a straightforward workflow? 

Thanks, 

Jules 

[Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob. I would have put it there if I could've found a 'post' button 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS reflowable, for ebooks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just downloaded Jutoh, looks far simpler and wanted a PC solution. Importing a Word doc is pretty straightforward and even includes image resizing and tables. Will go with that. 

The output is clean and includes image captions in the right format. I'll check it in a few readers. 

InDesign doesn't seem a good fit for ebooks. 

Maybe one day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term ebooks is a generic term for the various digital document formats. These include PDF, Reflowable ePub, FXL ePub, mobi, Apple iBooks and InDesign’s Publish Online. Each format has advantages (features) and disadvantages. There’s no perfect format. The InDesign plugin in5 (at extra cost) produces excellent HTML5 documents that can include interactive and multimedia elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, 

Sorry, but I'm asking about .epub, the generic and common file format used for reflowable epubs in ebooks. All the major ebook publishers including Amazon KDP are using .epub.

I need to know the simplest way to make an .epub from .docx, and whether InDesign can do this.

It turns out the solution isn't InDesign and an extra-cost plug-in. It's Vellum for Mac and Jutoh for PC. 

I wanted to keep my e-publishing workflow within Adobe, but it's too unwieldy. It's like learning to be a jet pilot when you want to cross the street.  

Thank you.  

Jules

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the claim in this page is actually quite fraudulent for the vast majority of ebook publishers.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/indesign/ebook-creator-software.html?promoid=6WTV7372&mv=other

How to make an eBook.

Need help getting started? Turn your manuscript into a published eBook with a few simple steps.

Kick it off:

Begin by creating a new document in InDesign.

Organise it:

Place your text, images and videos in the document.

Beautify it:

Preview fonts and enhance your eBook with stunning typography.

Tweak it:

Polish it up by tightening the page layout and white space.

Share it:

Use the Publish Online feature and send your eBook to important readers for review and editing.

Finish it:

Make your edits and then export the document in an ePub format.

This is simply untrue. I have made many print documents in InDesign and can't get the .epub reflowable to work. With Vellum, you simply import, tweak styles and export.

If people searching for 'how to publish an ebook' buy your product as a result of this page, they are being sorely misled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're entitled to your view about the choice of application to create digital books, but to describe the Adobe products as "fraudulent" show a lack of knowledge on your part – this online video tutorial may help you understand how to use InDesign to create Reflowable ePubs (you can get 30-days free access): https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-cc-2018-epub?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&upsel...

And you are not addressing Adobe on this friendly forum, but volunteers who try and help one another.

(By the way, you should note that Amazon does not use the ePub format for the Kindle but its propriety format, .mobi.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Derek, but I've already spent hours searching on this topic or I wouldn't have come here for help. Also, KDP recently switched to recommending .epub uploads for reflowable rather than .mobi, which you may not yet be aware of https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634390

I said in quite a gentle way with plenty of modifiers that the advert was 'actually quite fraudulent' in stating that InDesign (not Adobe products, which I much admire) provides "simple steps" for the task of 'how to make an ebook". It's not simple and I think it's fair enough to say this.

Appreciate your help and thanks for the link. Maybe my answer will help others in a similar situation to me. Peace and out.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice but I prefer to convert from ePub to Mobi using the Kindle Previewer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is bundled with Jutoh so I have been able to complete my project now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, people get edgy if you use words like "fraud". Fraud is a crime, so to say something is fraudulent - however you wrap it up - is saying you feel a crime has been committed. And that would be your opinion, and you're entirely entitled to it. BUT, it causes people who might help in the forums to steer clear (whoah! Lawsuits! Danger Will Robinson!!), so you may not get as much help or advice as you wish. I believe Adobe staff may have instructions to avoid any posts that touch on threats of legal action. I have no problem at all with saying Adobe's documents are misleading, wrong, or make exagerrated claims. Clearly a lot of them do, or are.. some would argue that making exagerrated claims is the job of any marketing department. I hate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, great point, agree and was intending the 'misleading' meaning of that taboo word rather than full-on full-on 🙂 Appreciate forum people will have guidance on that too. I'm not a Mrs Angry, I'm a total creative sweetie trying to solve a practical issue xx

I would love, love, LOVE, if Adobe made a simple version of .doc to .epub. The world would love it too.

Adobe make amazing, simple mobile versions of their amazing full-featured design programs and this must be possible on desktop. The Essentials variants, too, are a great example of a stripped-down way in.

Then everything would be in my Adobe workflow and I'd be a super-happy and highly productive bunny. 

So I'm waiting and hoping 😄 and it would be fab if Adobe people read this. 

Thank you o valuable participant x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines