• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Create for a book Sub-chapters and display them on the right page header

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am trying to setup a book, on which in the right page headers i would get the "current" chapter name, as well as the current sub-chapter : ex "Chapter 1 / Subchapter 1", then a few page later "Chapter 1 / Subchapter 2", etc... With indesign sections i managed to get the chapters, but how to define subchapters associated to titles  from the Chapter 1 global text ? Of course i have paragraphs styles associated to Titles, sub tiles, etc...In fact i want my Titles to be my subchapters within each chapters. 

CHAPTER 1

Title 1

Text

Title 2

Text

For page 1 for example i would like to have "Chapter 1 / Title 1" inside the right page header.

Of course i could create as many Master sheets as i have chapters/subchapters combination but it would be manual, and not elegant, with all risk of mistakes if i modify the book

Thank's i advance for your help

Regards

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Look into Text Variables. They should do exactly what you need.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

I would suggest that, rather than creating multiple master pages for each chapter, create a separate InDesign document file (.indd) for each sub-chapter of your book. Then you can stitch the sub-chapters — and the overarching book — together using InDesign's book function.

That way, you have only one file, with only one right page header/folio for each sub-chapter. Far less risk of mistakes and an established workflow to ensure consistencies whenever you need to modify/update the book.

Hope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look into Text Variables. They should do exactly what you need.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would suggest that, rather than creating multiple master pages for each chapter, create a separate InDesign document file (.indd) for each sub-chapter of your book. Then you can stitch the sub-chapters — and the overarching book — together using InDesign's book function.

That way, you have only one file, with only one right page header/folio for each sub-chapter. Far less risk of mistakes and an established workflow to ensure consistencies whenever you need to modify/update the book.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines