• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create Text Variable based on page number

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a large photobook. Every page is a 2-page spread which I've set up as a Master. However ever page has an incrementing number for each photo.

I realised that {page number / 2} works perfectly and thought I could include a text variable in the master that is set to this but it seems you can't do that.

Does anyone know if this would be possible with scripting or some other method?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Yes, I would use this method too. Set up a paragraph style e.g. "Photo Number" and format its appearance to taste. Then, go into the bullets and numbering portion and change the following in the Number and Portion part of the style options:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 23.34.23.png

This can then be combined with Live Captions. In Bridge, I've added metadata to the titles of the following 4 images:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 23.38.01.png

Back in InDesign, I can set up a caption by clicking on an image and by right-clicking to get to the contextual menu, I can then go to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Every page is a 2-page spread which I've set up as a Master"

Can you expand on what this means?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Re reading that wasn't clear.

Page 1 is a cover page.

Page 2 is the photo text, description and info

Page 3 is the photo

The page 2/3 spread is what I set up as a master and then repeats for all the other photos.

So photo number 1 is on page 2, photo 2 on page 4, 3 on page 6, etc. Hence why I was trying to create a variable of page number/2 so if I reorder the photos they'll number correctly.

Hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could probably use a "numberd list" paragraph style for this or find a suitable script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would use this method too. Set up a paragraph style e.g. "Photo Number" and format its appearance to taste. Then, go into the bullets and numbering portion and change the following in the Number and Portion part of the style options:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 23.34.23.png

This can then be combined with Live Captions. In Bridge, I've added metadata to the titles of the following 4 images:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 23.38.01.png

Back in InDesign, I can set up a caption by clicking on an image and by right-clicking to get to the contextual menu, I can then go to caption setup and make sure I set the following:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 23.39.47.png

From here, all I need to do is select an image in InDesign and then from the contextual menu, choose either "generate live caption" or "generate static caption" from the caption option.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - I'll try that. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure what you're after, but you can create an auto numbered paragraph style for the images. This can be based on an auto generated caption (Object>Captions>Caption Setup). If the photo numbering is only to be seen in the table of contents, you can put the caption on a hidden layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having thought some more about this, wouldnt it be easier enough to create 2 files the one with the photos and info as single pages (but twice the width obv)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines