• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create two page numbers in InDesign?

New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, Is it possible to create two page numbers? One of the page numbers starts with  1 and the other starts with any number I want...

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Hi hamidrezamaj,

yes, that's possible.

You could use a text variable for the name of your document.

E.g. the name of the document of your 5th booklet is simply 5.indd.

For the page numbers throughout of all booklets you could use the auto page number that is controlled and synchronized by an InDesign book file where all your brochure documents are stored.

Finally for the absolute number, every time starting with 1 for the first page in a brochure's document you could use the auto numbering f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't quite follow what you are attempting to achieve? Could you elaborate please. Cheers.

It is possible to alter page numbers by adjusting options within Numbering & Section Options. This dialog box can be accessed in multiple ways, one of which is through the menu in the Pages panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seven bookles that I want each booklet to have its own page number and general page number (all eight booklets). I hope I have made it clear 

PageNumber.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. If it is, we'd appreciate if you can share the solution with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issue, please let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi hamidrezamaj,

yes, that's possible.

You could use a text variable for the name of your document.

E.g. the name of the document of your 5th booklet is simply 5.indd.

For the page numbers throughout of all booklets you could use the auto page number that is controlled and synchronized by an InDesign book file where all your brochure documents are stored.

Finally for the absolute number, every time starting with 1 for the first page in a brochure's document you could use the auto numbering feature of a paragraph style with a numbering style that dictates that the numbering will continue accross stories.

All in all something like that below where I used a couple of paragraph styles, one character style for the autonumbering to camouflage a blank character and a table with three cells on every page.

Cell 1: The text variable with the document name.

Cell 2: The auto numbering paragraph, as contents a simple blank character that triggers the auto number

Cell 3: Auto page number controlled by the order of documents in an InDesign book file

PageNumbering-AlsoAbsoluteNumbers-2.PNG

If you want to know more details, just ask…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines