• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete facing page?

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the Book feature. I have multiple chapters, each as separate In Design documents. They are supposed to all start with a right-hand page. However, for some reason, one chapter starts with a double page spread, blank on the left side. I don't know how or why I set it up that way. How can I delete that blank page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Are you using primary text frames, mos10279273? Is something* on the first page of chapter 4 that is pushing the content to the top of the next page?

* something could be a break character or keep settings on the chapter title.

I'm happy to take a look. If you'd like, you can package your book, zip the project folder and place it on dropbox. You can post the link here (public) or hover or my name above this post and message me (private). I work with books regularly.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the chapter where the blank page occurs. Open the Pages panel. From the panel menu, choose Numbering & Section Options. Choose Start Page Numbering on page 1 and click OK. If necessary delete the blank page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Werner  wrote

Open the chapter where the blank page occurs. Open the Pages panel. From the panel menu, choose Numbering & Section Options. Choose Start Page Numbering on page 1 and click OK. If necessary delete the blank page.

Steve

The problem with using that method on a document within a book is that is upsets the book-based auto page numbering. 

There is an option in the book panel to start each document on the next odd-numbered page. 

It may require adding a blank page to the end of the previous document when doing the final book assembly.Screenshot 2018-12-03 11.20.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, and I think you're correct. I don't work on enough books, and forgot the choices in that dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this, and now I have a blank right hand page at the start of my document, and deleting it makes no difference. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's standard for a document to start with a right-hand page - that's the cover. 

If you need your first book document to start with a spread, (maybe because the cover is in a separate file), then follow Steve's directions on just the first document, except have it Start Page Numbering on Page 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Chapter 4. Chapters 1 thru 3 all started on a right hand page, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok -- you said you wound up with a blank right-hand page at the start of that one document? And when you delete it, it reappears? 

Check the page pallet settings for that document -- it could have a setting where the first spread (or all of them) have Allow Document Pages to Shuffle or Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle unchecked.

Make sure that both of those options are checked for all spreads in that document.

Screenshot 2018-12-03 17.02.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that, and problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screen shots of the Pages panel settings for the problem document.

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.28.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.28.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle is checked for all spreads in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've done that, still no change. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using primary text frames, mos10279273? Is something* on the first page of chapter 4 that is pushing the content to the top of the next page?

* something could be a break character or keep settings on the chapter title.

I'm happy to take a look. If you'd like, you can package your book, zip the project folder and place it on dropbox. You can post the link here (public) or hover or my name above this post and message me (private). I work with books regularly.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thinking Barb: there was a stray forced line break that was causing all the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. Glad you found it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've probably already thought of this, but does the previous chapter have an odd number of pages? That would do it, but it doesn't explain why the first left page is blank, so probably not the problem.

You might try deleting all of the chapters from the book, delete the extra page on that one book chapter document, make sure all documents are set to start at page 1 with automatic page numbering, and then getting all of the documents back into the book. Sort of like restarting your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to delete a whole page in Indesign software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines