• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete links that are not used

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought that "Package for print" only copied links that are used in the documents, but having done it a couple of times with my current book, I find that many unused illustrations are being copied.

How can I get rid of unused links. When looking at the links folder, there is no way to determine which one are used in the document and which ones are obsolete, so manually deleting them is not a realistic option. Anything I can try?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Hi @Triglyph:

InDesign does copy just the linked images to the links folder when you package a file.  If the image isn't being used in the InDesign somewhere, it is not copied when you package.

Review your Links panel carefully for a list of images that are part of each chapter in the book, looking for the name of the files that you think shouldn't be there. When you find the name of a graphic that you think isn't in the file, click the name in the Links panel and then click the Go To Link b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

When packaging, uncheck the "include fonts and links from hidden and non-printing content" checkbox in the "create package folder" dialog. That will get rid of any links that may be turned off in the layers panel. You can also use the layers panel to delete any links that are turned off to avoid the missing links warnings you may get after packaging. Don't forget to check your master pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Triglyph:

InDesign does copy just the linked images to the links folder when you package a file.  If the image isn't being used in the InDesign somewhere, it is not copied when you package.

Review your Links panel carefully for a list of images that are part of each chapter in the book, looking for the name of the files that you think shouldn't be there. When you find the name of a graphic that you think isn't in the file, click the name in the Links panel and then click the Go To Link button. InDesign will highlight that file for you and show you exactly where it is. If you don't need it anymore, just press the Delete key to remove it from the document and from the Links panel. Maybe the files were moved to the pasteboard where you can't see them?

links.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When packaging, uncheck the "include fonts and links from hidden and non-printing content" checkbox in the "create package folder" dialog. That will get rid of any links that may be turned off in the layers panel. You can also use the layers panel to delete any links that are turned off to avoid the missing links warnings you may get after packaging. Don't forget to check your master pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines