• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to delete placed file from indesign document

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 200+ page indesign document and inported multiple AI fileusing PLACE command. Now I want to use same indesign document to place differant AI files. My new AI files have differant no of artboards than the previouse AI files I used, so i can not use Relink option.

So how can i delete/unlink my previously Placed files that i don't have content of those files in Indesign file. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Ok, now I understand the problem. I don't think there is anything inbuilt to achieve this. I quickly put up a script that can help you. See the following, just change the values of the linkName array to the name of the links that you want to delete and it should get it done, The link name can be seen in the links panel, it is generally the file name

var linkName = ["download1.jpeg", "app1496256.pdf"]
for(var i =0; i < linkName.length; i++)
{
	var ln = app.documents[0].links.itemByName(linkName[i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you not able to select the object showing the content of AI file on the INDD document? If yes just select and click delete to remove the object and the link from your document. You can select using the layer panel as well, and also use the links panel, just right click the link and select Go To Link, then hit delete button to delete the object

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well reason for asking the question was i do not want to delete one by one.
All the methods u r describing are basically delete one by one from 200 + pages.
So i thought may there is a way that one can do it say with  click of a button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now I understand the problem. I don't think there is anything inbuilt to achieve this. I quickly put up a script that can help you. See the following, just change the values of the linkName array to the name of the links that you want to delete and it should get it done, The link name can be seen in the links panel, it is generally the file name

var linkName = ["download1.jpeg", "app1496256.pdf"]
for(var i =0; i < linkName.length; i++)
{
	var ln = app.documents[0].links.itemByName(linkName[i])
	while(ln.isValid == true)
	{
		ln.parent.parent.remove()
		ln = app.documents[0].links.itemByName(linkName[i])
	}
}

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I save this code as ",jsx" file. but in script panel it is greyed out and i can see a "i" symbol next to it. when I bring mouse over on the it in the script panel it says 
"This file is not executable by any supported language". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".jsx" - "." not ","

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So it's pretty much the same - or even more time consuming - as clicking each link on Links panel and then deleting it 😉

I think the better way would be to delete all ".ai" files in bulk ? 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which editor did you use to create this jsx file?

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using mac(OS Catalina) and used texteditor and made sure that its plain text not rich text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare the permissions of the file you created and the one's that work? If it still does not work then upload the file on Dropbox and share the link here, i will see if it runs on my MAC or not?

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thank you for the script it works. it just gived=s this messgae at end 

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 3.20.07 AM.png

just want to understand why  i am geting this error and how to stop this. It could be because of my file because i have a linked file that is behaving strangely. I will post question about it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I used 

myPDFPage.parent.remove();

and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines