• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to detect/mark automatic hyphens in a text?

Participant ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To visually control the quantity of hyphenated words in a page, seems appropriated to mark them ( like using some script, similar to that created by H. Jong, where beautifully all hyphenated words are coloured with a red ink?)

The markup to identify them, as the tilde ^~ does not capture them?

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 7.53.07 AM.jpg

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question is not clear to me. What are you asking for? Please try to give an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatic hyphens are dynamic and not glyphs that can be selected (unlike hyphens you type). As far as I know there's nothing you can do to highlight them.

Are the hyphenation controls available in the Hyphenation Settings dialog not sufficient to control the number of hyphens on your pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am [almost] sure Jong's script does that...

Also Indiscript has a similar one to mark hyphenated words, including location!

Thank you.

Jong:

try {

app.activeDocument.colors.add({name:"Warning", space:ColorSpace.RGB, colorValue:[255,0,0]});

} catch(_) { }

warningColor = app.activeDocument.swatches.item("Warning");

t = app.selection[0].parentStory.textContainers;

p = 0;

err = 0;

while (p < t.length)

{

if (t

.lines.length)

{

if (t

.lines[0].words.length && t

.lines[0].words[-1].lines.length > 1)

t

.lines[0].fillColor = "Warning", err++;

if (t

.lines[-1].words.length && t

.lines[-1].words[-1].lines.length > 1)

t

.lines[-1].fillColor = "Warning", err++;

}

p++;

}

alert ("Done, marked "+err+" occurrences");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see what happens when you run that script...

It changes the color of the entire line in which the hyphen occurs. That's quite different from highlighting just the hyphen itself. You might be able to highlight just the hyphenated words, too, but as I said, I don't think it's possible to isolate the hyphen itself since it isn't a "real" glyph, but I could be wrong.

Presumably, too, you also want this highlight to be dynamic, and to be non-printing? Again, I don't think that's something that can be done in the current iterations of ID. You might want to file a feature request to add hyphens to the list of things that can be highlighted in the composition section of the prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

in Jong-Indiscript-Marc's  scripts the idea is check the composition.

Here, the same. Detect automatic hyphens. (highlight, mark, see...)

The scripts already mentioned changes the colour in order to detect them.

Later this «warning» colour is converted to black and voilá!

But those scripts konw how to detect an automatic hyphen, something not visible for the straight user.

How to ?:

You might be able to highlight just the hyphenated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't claim to understand exactly what that script does, but I don't think it is really detecting hyphens, per se. It looks to me like it's checking word counts and using a discrepency to deduce that there is a word that appears in two different lines at the same time, and thus it must be hyphenated.

And of course this is not a dynamic highlight. Once you run the script, that text is highlighted until you remove the highlight, even if you edit and remove the hyphen (which may create a new, un-highlted hyphen elsewhere). This does not strike me as a useful method. A GREP style that could identify an automatic hyphen would be useful, but I don't think that's possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying this script in new InDesign CC 2019 text and it does nothing, gives back 0 results.

What syntax may have changed, please?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion seems better to fit in the InDesign Scripting forum. I'm moving it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Federico,

just tested the code from reply 3 with my German InDesign CC 2019 on Windows 10.

Selected a text frame and ran the script. It's still working as expected. Also tested with CC 2018.1. No issues found.

Did you select a text frame before running the script?
Does the story of the text frame contain any hyphenated text?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines