Highlighted

How to do continous paragraph numbering and spliting text field in InDesign?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on template for a document that is based on the specific rules defined by law and I want to have it splited into smaller chunks to be edited in InCopy when needed.
Very important for me is to have those small chunks separated and only editable on purpose when someone is assigned to specific chunk.
I've created big text space editing in all required elements with correct paragraph styles, now I want to split this one big text field into parts, but to preserve numbering order of paragraphs is that possible to slice it and export parts to the InCopy?

Also, lets say I want to add a paragraph in InDesign while all parts are already set (new text field) how do I preserve numbering so that it looks like this:

A. Lorem ipsum...

B. Lorem ipsum...

1) Lorem ipsum...

C. Lorem ipsum...

D. New inserted paragraph

E. Lorem ipsum...

F. Lorem ipsum...

instead of:

A. Lorem ipsum...

B. Lorem ipsum...

1) Lorem ipsum...

C. Lorem ipsum...

A. New inserted paragraph

D. Lorem ipsum...

E. Lorem ipsum...

Is there a smart workflow for such a documents?

Law requires me to have certain structure in all projects, but some require additional paragraphs, therefore I'm trying to reduce amount of necessary job.

PS. Can lenght of a text field influence position of a next paragraph when not in the same text field?

Thanks for any advices in advance!

{Renamed by MOD}

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

You will always need threaded text frames for continous numbering. Otherwise you have to changed the paragraph setting "start at" in every single text frame.

Or:

You use a Join-TextFrame-Script eg:

TextRahmen_verketten_01d.js  written by © 03.05.2020 / Hans Haesler

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/foren/Textrahmen_per_Script_verketten_P574956.html

Topics

How to, InCopy workflow, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to do continous paragraph numbering and spliting text field in InDesign?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on template for a document that is based on the specific rules defined by law and I want to have it splited into smaller chunks to be edited in InCopy when needed.
Very important for me is to have those small chunks separated and only editable on purpose when someone is assigned to specific chunk.
I've created big text space editing in all required elements with correct paragraph styles, now I want to split this one big text field into parts, but to preserve numbering order of paragraphs is that possible to slice it and export parts to the InCopy?

Also, lets say I want to add a paragraph in InDesign while all parts are already set (new text field) how do I preserve numbering so that it looks like this:

A. Lorem ipsum...

B. Lorem ipsum...

1) Lorem ipsum...

C. Lorem ipsum...

D. New inserted paragraph

E. Lorem ipsum...

F. Lorem ipsum...

instead of:

A. Lorem ipsum...

B. Lorem ipsum...

1) Lorem ipsum...

C. Lorem ipsum...

A. New inserted paragraph

D. Lorem ipsum...

E. Lorem ipsum...

Is there a smart workflow for such a documents?

Law requires me to have certain structure in all projects, but some require additional paragraphs, therefore I'm trying to reduce amount of necessary job.

PS. Can lenght of a text field influence position of a next paragraph when not in the same text field?

Thanks for any advices in advance!

{Renamed by MOD}

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

You will always need threaded text frames for continous numbering. Otherwise you have to changed the paragraph setting "start at" in every single text frame.

Or:

Topics

How to, InCopy workflow, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. If earlier response helped, we'd appreciate if you can mark the earlier response correct. If you used any other method, you may share it with us. It'll help other users with the similar concern as yours.

If you still have issues, let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines