• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit Font Color? Without having to highlight it. InDesign2019

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to select a text in InDesign and edits the color. Standard in Illustrator and Photoshop. However, it appears you have to highlight the text, see the inverse of the highlighted color, then guess how it will look in your composition.

Please tell me there is a way where I can edit font color without having to highlight it. 

Highlighted: inverse color is a gross brown redHighlighted: inverse color is a gross brown redNot Highlighted: a nice calm blueNot Highlighted: a nice calm blue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you have onder option.

choose the text box and in the window swatches color you have option to color just the text > T > and now you can choose without highlight on the text. see example in the picture:

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is my favorite solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for sharing. I wonder why 1 panel can do it and Character/Paragraph panel cannot. It seems inconsistent not only in InDesign but comparing to other Adobe produducts (Photoshop, Illustrator). I hope Adobe Devs will spare some time to rethink that. Thank You in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What stops you to use it Story editor or Split window? See beloew my post about it. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello 🙂 nothing is stopping me to use another solution. I did use your tip. What I am talking about is a consistency throught all Adobe products. I use them since around 1996 and I was always wondering why colour picker in one app works differently than in another. When "CS" came around those little things started to grow apart. Take for example what is happening when picking a colour after double click. In Photoshop going outside the "color palette zone" focuses on last picked color (easy and fast), yet in Illustrator when you do the same thing the focus loses any color value so you have to slow down your work and select precise pixel on the edge of a palette. Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve never understood why ID doesn’t let you hide a text selection.

I name my swatches with an object name rather than a color name as a work around. Editing the swatch changes the color without selecting the text:

Screen Shot 3.png

Screen Shot 4.png

If you have the screen space, an alternative is to open a New Window via Window>Arrange>New Window For...

Screen Shot 5.png

Screen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use it story editor (CTRL+Y)

2019-07-15_23-18.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use it split window - 

https://indesignsecrets.com/use-split-window-when-applying-colors-to-text.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And video about it - 

https://youtu.be/h5yCrkhMxvY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really like InDesign to be intelligent and when I select a text box the swatch panel should automatically switch to the text color option instead of the frame background color. It would make working so much easier than to have to manually make this switch every time I select a text box.

It is much more rare for most people to want to change the background color of a text frame every time they select it, rather than the actual text color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One good reason to use styles to change the text color…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I do. However, I don't want to have 100 paragraph styles and another 100 character styles just to change a design that I'm playing around with in the concept stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines