Highlighted

How to embed a font in Epub format

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I want to make an e-book in the fixed layout format. The file format should be Epub. I am exporting my file from Indesign, but I do not find any option or setting to embed a font. So how do I embed a font in Indesign, or is it done automatically when I export to Indesign?

And of course I need my chosen font to be seen by the end users on their Epub-readers, without any conversion of the font, that I am using in the file.

Are all Adobe fonts embeddable? And how about TTF and OTF, are these font types also embeddable?

I am using the font Foco (an Adobe font) and I have a license to Adobe Creative Cloud, but does this license allow me to use and distribute an Adobe font embedded inside a file in the Epub format.

And if you have any other advise on what to take note of, then please share it. 

Does making an Epub require skills in CSS and HTML or any other programming language?

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Are all Adobe fonts embeddable? And how about TTF and OTF, are these font types also embeddable?

Yes, Adobe fonts are included with the .epub package and are listed in the ePub’s CSS style sheet.

Screen Shot 9.pngScreen Shot 10.png

Does making an Epub require skills in CSS and HTML or any other programming language?

There is the option to add additional CSS style sheets, but that’s not a requirement.

Topics

EPUB, How to, Import and export, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to embed a font in Epub format

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I want to make an e-book in the fixed layout format. The file format should be Epub. I am exporting my file from Indesign, but I do not find any option or setting to embed a font. So how do I embed a font in Indesign, or is it done automatically when I export to Indesign?

And of course I need my chosen font to be seen by the end users on their Epub-readers, without any conversion of the font, that I am using in the file.

I am using the font Foco (an Adobe font) and I have a license to Adobe Creative Cloud, but does this license allow me to use and distribute an Adobe font embedded inside a file in the Epub format.

And if you have any other advise on what to take note of, then please share it. 

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Adobe fonts are included with the .epub package and are listed in the ePub’s CSS style sheet.

There is the option to add additional CSS style sheets, but that’s not a requirement.

Topics

EPUB, How to, Import and export, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Fonts are licenced for use on ePubs. OTF fonts are recommended.

Linkedin Learning has some excellent online video tutorials on creating ePubs with InDesign. You can get a 30-day free trial.

Knowing a bit of HTML and CSS is helpful in creating ePubs. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines