• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Evenly Space Text Boxes and Graphic Frames

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of photos in my book that will have Figure captions and also captions below the images. How to evenly space these frames? I know I can use the alignment tools, but I have a lot of images. 

Figure 1: Photo Title

Page_0038.jpg

Caption: Rose and Eliezer

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

In addition to these suggestions, I would make an Object Style for your captions that sets the following:

Auto Sizing: Height Only from the top centre.

Inset Spacing: the distance that you want to offset the caption from the image.

Apply the Object Style to your caption frames and make the top or bottom (depending on whether the caption is below or above the image) of the caption text frame touch the bottom or top of picture frame. The inset spacing will ensure the spacing is consistent.

Hope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would turn on the Document Grid from View > Grids & Guides > Show Document Grid
You can control the grid look and feel from your preferences to make sure it is the correct size needed with correct spacing between gridlines for your page layout.
You can then layout the page as needed following the size of the gridlines. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I was hoping for a more automated way but this will work if I cannot find another way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 ideas for you:

On a master page (preferably for multiple pages) draw one big frame the size of all your pictures rows and columns for the whole page. Then run a built-in script called MakeGrid.jsx. It will turn it into however many rows and columns you want, and it also gives you control over the spacing.

Another idea is to place all the pictures in one place command, thus loading your graphics cursor with many images. Place on the page by using the Grid *Gridify* placement techniqe which is a tapping of keyboard shortcuts while you drag to place the many pictures. Tapping the Up arrow key increases rows; tapping the Right arrow keys increases the columns. This is done while dragging out a big area which will be subdivided into rows and columns when you release the drag.

To change the spacing between frames, press Page Up or Page Down or hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) while pressing the arrow keys.

To change the spacing between frames, hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) while pressing the arrow keys.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/placing-graphics.html

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi needlepointerncREF,

if your image together with the figure number and caption is considered as part of a big text flow you could anchor your image in that flow. Distance to and distance from your image frame can be controlled by paragraph properties like space after and space above. Question are: Are you working with a document baseline grid? Is the height of an image always a multiple of the distance from grid line to grid line? If the answer is yes to both you can easily do three paragraph styles that work together to get even spacing. One paragraph style for the figure paragraph, one paragraph style for the anchored image frame and one paragraph style for the caption.

To work out the details is up to you: Grid values, point sizes for the paragraph styles, space after and space before values and maybe the values for text wrap if needed with the anchored image frame. Also values for baseline shift, just to throw in some ideas.

The core of it all: The image height must be a multiple of the grid distance!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what the layout looks like now. I put the Figure Caption in a Text Frame, then the image is dragged in and sized. Some images have captions below and some don't. I don't know how I would do all that you are suggesting. The images are in the flow of text but text does not flow from page to page.Indesign_CaptionsImages.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to these suggestions, I would make an Object Style for your captions that sets the following:

Auto Sizing: Height Only from the top centre.

Inset Spacing: the distance that you want to offset the caption from the image.

Apply the Object Style to your caption frames and make the top or bottom (depending on whether the caption is below or above the image) of the caption text frame touch the bottom or top of picture frame. The inset spacing will ensure the spacing is consistent.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nigel... this will work for what I am trying to do.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines