Highlighted

how to find and delete "~l"

Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've come across a few blue dots in my file that I fail to interpret. Maybe it's not crucial to delete them but I'd like to get rid of them anyway, just to make sure they do not do something I'm not aware of.

If I select the last few characters of this story (with the blue dots are included) and copy and paste them, this is what the Find/Change dialog looks like:

character.png

So there are six occurrences of "~l" between the "x" and the "t" here. The problem is if I search for "~l" (without quotes), InDesign tells me "Cannot find match" although they are right there.

What is "~l", and how do I find and delete it from the files?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by vladan saveljic | Adobe Community Professional

text search:

Find

<feff>

change to:

leave empty

Topics

How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

how to find and delete "~l"

Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've come across a few blue dots in my file that I fail to interpret. Maybe it's not crucial to delete them but I'd like to get rid of them anyway, just to make sure they do not do something I'm not aware of.

If I select the last few characters of this story (with the blue dots are included) and copy and paste them, this is what the Find/Change dialog looks like:

character.png

So there are six occurrences of "~l" between the "x" and the "t" here. The problem is if I search for "~l" (without quotes), InDesign tells me "Cannot find match" although they are right there.

What is "~l", and how do I find and delete it from the files?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by vladan saveljic | Adobe Community Professional

text search:

Find

<feff>

change to:

leave empty

Topics

How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can find ~I just fine in my sample document. Can you share a sample document that has this issue, also please tell which version of InDesign are you using, I tested it on the version 15.1.2 on a MAC.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan

Thanks for your reply.

InDesign CC 2020 15.1.2
macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Please note it's "~l" (not " I").

I've prepared a sample document to share, but I fail to save it (both the commands "Save" and "Save As …" are greyed out):

sample.png

So my next question is how to save this file ...

Update: If I simply close the document, I am asked whether I want to save this file, and after trying to do, I am told "Cannot save [filename]".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the sample document:

https://we.tl/t-xR3kR4yQOK

How do I find and delete the –l characters?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

text search:

Find

<feff>

change to:

leave empty

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting <FEFF> is dangerous, as it's used for index page references, text anchors, and several other things as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you Peter. In this case I think deleting U+FEFF is harmless since there are no index marks, text anchors or the like in my files. But good to know to be careful next time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, the question is why does this character manifest as a sequence of hairline space when pasted in the Find/Change dialogue, which then fails to find it. Is this some peculiarity of implementation or something else? Any ideas?

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Vladan!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines