Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find number of indesign page in pdf page

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Am new to indesign community. Am preparing a brochure and i am on trial mode for InDesign.

I exported a sample layout from Indesgin (image attached) and got the pdf (image attached)

How do i know how many pages form a pdf page?

Is this information stored somewhere in pdf?

How do i know that pdf spread 1 has 5 indesign pages?

Thank you for any help

~S

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your InDesign file has a 5-page spread and a two-page spread. You set your PDF export with Spreads instead of Pages checked, so the export exported the spreads set in your document. Once it is exported, Acrobat treats each fomer InDesign spread as a single page.

If you do not want this, you can set the export for Pages instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen:

It depends on how you exported from InDesign—did you export pages or spreads? Either way, the answer is visible in Acrobat or Reader using View > Show/Hide > Navigation Pane > Page Thumbnails.

The main window is controlled by the View settings. The Page Thumbnail pane shows the actual pages.

~Barb 

Exporting as pages

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.27.22 AM.png

Exporting as spreads

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.26.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks Barb and SJ

I was not clear in my question i think. 

I will export the PDF as spread from indesign.

So i want to know how in a PDF page can i know how many indesign pages are there?

As you can see in my images, the PDF page 1 has 5 indesign pages. Can i know this from PDF?

or split that first PDF page into 5 indivisual pages based on information in Indesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in my images, the PDF page 1 has 5 indesign pages. Can i know this from PDF?

You can't know from the PDF -- once it is exported, if you have exported as spread, each InDesign spread will read as a single page in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as SJRiegel has already told you spread is treated in the pdf as a single page.
to visually see how many pages had Indesign you should include crop marks when you export to pdf and in pdf you could see as in my screenshot

Screenshot (9).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So i want to know how in a PDF page can i know how many indesign pages are there?

I'm just echoing the same answer as SJRiegel. 

When you export spreads from InDesign, they become pages in Acrobat/Reader. Take a look at my screen shot. The page numbers are shown under each thumbnail in the Navigation panel (at left). There are two pages when you export as spreads: page 1 is the compilation of the first InDesign spread, page 2 is the second InDesign spread.

You can see the page sizes by hovering over the lower left corner of the document window. The first page is 42.5" x 11", the second is 17" x 11.

page sizes.gif

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines