• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find the backup of a corrupted indesign file

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A completed and recently saved file got corrupted as I closed the app.  InDesign can't open it anymore (it could not open the pdf file either) and it gives me an error 5 message. Is there any way to get a backup?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends.

Other than making backups your self - it is unlikely it can be recovered by normal means using InDesign - where it does back up files you may not be able to recover them

Recover documents and undo mistakes in InDesign

If you're on Mac and have Time Machine https://www.imore.com/how-back-up-mac-time-machine

If you're on Windows you might be able to access the folder that has the Previous Versions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17119/windows-7-recover-lost-deleted-files

If your file won't open then https://markzware.com/  maybe able to restore it for a fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond what Eugene gave you, you can avoid this in the future by working in a Dropbox of OneDrive folder. I wrote this years ago and beyond a few numbers, it's still accurate: https://www.boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@sanyamt - I've experienced the same error. Adobe support took a look at the file and said it was damaged due to markup language. Would you be willing to take a look at my file? I've run out of options!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines