• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix distorted text when rotating text box?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I rotate my text box, it distotrts the text like in the attached picture. Is there a way to rotate the text box without this happening?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Hi cking_nsp,

I can only repeat: There is no way to fix it.

That's InDesign's best effort to visualize rotated text on the page.

You can do a bug report here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see only rotated text, no distorted text. The steps are only a screen issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got View > Display Performance > High Quality Display selected ?

Alternatively, export it as a PDF and have a look at that to see if it's rendered properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have. When exported as a pdf it still shows distorted, however, when printed it appears fine. The probmle is this file will only be viewed digitally so I need it to look correct when vied as a pdf online. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "correct" way to view this: it will display as good as your client's PDF viewer allows.

There is nothing to fix. If you consider it unacceptable, do not rotate text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems a very low res image, I think that's why it's pixelating.  Assuming you added the text in Photoshop to the drawing, I suggest you export the document from Photoshop as a PDF and Place that in your InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign uses a proxy for a placed file’s preview, and if it is a vector file with black lines the resolution of your display comes into play when you zoom out to a low magnification—there aren’t enough pixels to resolve the black lines when the preview is reduced. When you angle a black line the anti-aliasing possibilities for smoothing the line are limited. If you zoom in to a high magnification there will be enough display pixels to draw the lines more accurately:

Screen Shot 8.png

Acrobat has a display preference that affects the PDF preview, but the results are still limited by your display’s resolution:

Screen Shot 9.pngScreen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

Else please confirm if any of the suggestions above helped. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for checking in. These have been great suggesitons but none of them have helped yet with the text distortion. Do you have a way to fix it?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cking_nsp,

I can only repeat: There is no way to fix it.

That's InDesign's best effort to visualize rotated text on the page.

You can do a bug report here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, I have the same probelm and a fix I have found is outlining the text (Type > Create Outlines). It's not ideal as of course means its uneditable, but a work around if the wobbly text is bothering you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines