• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Force a Pasted Document to Reach Margins in InDesign Doc?

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, All!

I have a pdf document with narrower margins than my InDesign doc.

When I cut and paste the pdf doc into the InDesign doc, the text does NOT extend all the way to the InDesign margins on the new page. 

How do I paste the pdf text so that its text will wrap around completely, ie. extend to the InDesign margins?

I already tried pasting the pdf text in a Text Edit file and choosing Wrap Around, but it does not solve the problem.

Any thots?

Thank you,

Dino

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

This is still manual, but maybe not as time-consuming as selecting each one and deleting. You can use Find/Change to search for ^p (a standard paragraph return) and replace it with nothing (leave the Change field blank). If you want to remove all of them, hit the Change All button. If you want to change only some, use the Find Next, Change/Find or some combination to change some and skip others.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.27.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at your hidden characters; often text pasted in from a PDF will have a paragraph return at the end of every line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, SJRiegel.

I understand this. The hidden characters DO show line breaks at end of each line, which is why I have previously had to delete each one. Time consuming.

If there a way to remove these line breaks without doing it manually each time, please?

Cheers,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still manual, but maybe not as time-consuming as selecting each one and deleting. You can use Find/Change to search for ^p (a standard paragraph return) and replace it with nothing (leave the Change field blank). If you want to remove all of them, hit the Change All button. If you want to change only some, use the Find Next, Change/Find or some combination to change some and skip others.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.27.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lost of utilities to clean up text and cleverly remove superfluous line breaks. Some are free and some are online.

One online tool is https://www.textcleanr.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you kindly, Scott! Your answer was very helpful and will prove useful for other editing in the future. 

Please note the answer by Migintosh. 

Cheers,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Migintosh,

BRAVO!

Been busy for past 10 days so just saw your kind reply.

It works beautifully!

Thank you very much.

You have just saved me more than 100 hours of toiling through 1200 pages of pdf files to cut/paste/edit. Wao!

Cheers,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines