• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to format text insets that break across pages?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm redoing an older book that has a lot of inset boxes. Here's a screenshot of a sample page in the original layout:

valerie_a_b_0-1589071703966.png

The original designer's rather clunky solution was separate text frames plus separate shades backgrounds. I'd love to find a solution that would allow me to keep one continuous text flow: The inset box anchored in the main text frame and flowing along with the rest of the text. Trouble is, I can't make either a single-cell table (which would otherwise be ideal) or a text frame anchored in the main text work across page breaks.

I'd like it to look more like this, but I've had to arange things here manually:

valerie_a_b_1-1589072995933.png

Hope the question makes sense!

~Valerie

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Have a look at the newish InDesign facility Paragraph Shading.

This excellent video from Jeff Witchel shows you the various methods of adding shading including Paragraph Shading.

https://vimeo.com/135024579

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the newish InDesign facility Paragraph Shading.

This excellent video from Jeff Witchel shows you the various methods of adding shading including Paragraph Shading.

https://vimeo.com/135024579

For years, InDesign users have be asking for a way to highlight a selected paragraph with a color background. In CC 2015, their wish has been answered with this new Paragraph formatting feature named Paragraph Shading. And as type formatting, "Shading" can be saved as part of a Paragraph Styles to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the heavens opened and the rays of light shone forth and the angel choirs sang.

Thanks, Derek! There's always some feature I just haven't noticed yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea if this feature will export to EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the feature does not export successfully to a Reflowable ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alas! But thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines