• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to go about setting a »No hyphenation book«?

Engaged ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am about to do the text setting of a 200+ pages book in which for a certain reason hyphenation is not allowed. It will feature quite normal page layout dimensions and justified text of may be 10 pt and everything – but again: no hyphenation.

I can think of two ways trying to minimize the bad optical consequences of this harsh constraint:

• Kind of loosing the Justification settings

• Picking a typeface, that first of all fits well under these circumstances especially

Anybody around here, with some in deep experiences with a task like this? What else would you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

My problem with this is that I kind of detest glyph scaling values other than 100 %. Even 99/100/101 gives me sleeping problems. So I have to stick with Word and Letter Spacing basically. And with selecting a suitable typeface for this task of course. I did quite some testing these days, and I found those four to be about the best ones:

Adobe Garamond Pro

Charter

Life

Quay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Designing the book with a longer line length.

For example, a wide 1-column layout will have less need for hyphenation and justified white spaces than a 2- or 3-column layout.

Also choose a font with a taller x-height, such as Noto Sans & Serif https://fonts.google.com/?query=Noto. Or Roberto https://fonts.google.com/?query=roboto 

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi has given you good advice but justified text with no hyphenation will never yield a very good result. If you want to break rules like this, it's usually a good idea to tell us why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no question about it. But in this case, it’s a matter of sacrifice one thing in order to achieve another thing (which my client needs). And I’m up to minimize the damage that sacrifice may cause 😉

This includes selecting the »ideal« typeface(s) for this. In combination with some (yet to be elaborated) smart H&J settings, I believe that a result is possible, which is at least uhm, acceptable.

I tried Bevi’s fonts as well as some others before. It’s interesting that under this crucial circumstances they all »behave« differently, and even more that good old Adobe Garamond Pro is among those doing quite well here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work with Paragraph Styles!

In my experience, I had similiar tasks, I got the best results if I did some adjustments in the Justification section of the Paragraph Styles. Depending on the selected font and the selected lenght of the lines and paragraphs (the longer the better) I did not only allow the spaces between words, but also between the glyphs to have a range. In the last caste I allowed the space between the glyphs -4% 0% 5%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! Especially that Letter Spacing Minimum value of -4 or even -5 seems to do half of the trick. While pumping up the Maximum does not, for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: Can I make InDesign’s preflight detect (and count) any of those famous »Yellow H&J Violations« within my document? I tried it, but in vain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can define the range preflight is detecting, by creating custom profile and checking some of the text options.

p1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s not a justification preflight rule, but the more flexible the Justification settings are, the fewer violations:

Screen Shot 3.png

Screen Shot 4.png

With a more generous glyph scaling there are no violations:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that is no surprise. But the more generous you allow the H&J values to be, the worse will the result look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the default justification, no hyphenation, and short measures, is the Min & Max Word Spacing. I can tighten those allowances, and compensate with Letter Spacing and Glyph Scaling. I can’t easily see the difference between 97% and 95% glyph scaling, or a 4% change in letterspacing, but the rivers created by 133% max word space are more than obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem with this is that I kind of detest glyph scaling values other than 100 %. Even 99/100/101 gives me sleeping problems. So I have to stick with Word and Letter Spacing basically. And with selecting a suitable typeface for this task of course. I did quite some testing these days, and I found those four to be about the best ones:

Adobe Garamond Pro

Charter

Life

Quay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typeface would have an affect, as well as the point size—in the end it’s the average number of characters per line that will determine whether there will be problems with justification. You certainly can improve how text will justify by changing the defaults.

With a very tight measure—4-6 words per line— you can see the problem with default Justification and no hyphenation on the left vs. a custom Justification on the right:

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot.png

A 4" column with 12/14 text and no hyphenation:

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines