• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import a PSD file into Indesign WITH layers so it can be edited/saved as an InDesign file?

Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to import a Photoshop file into Indesign CS6 so that it's layers show in InDesign and it can then be edited/saved as an InDesign file?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

UPDATE: I found an answer to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh71QTBN1D0

Basically you can create a dynamic link between photoshop and indesign. Place your layered photoshop document on the indesign document, and if you want to make changes to the placed PSD file, you can alt (or option) > double click on the psd file on Indesign, and that will bring up Photoshop. Make desired change, and save and the psd file will automatically update in indesign (yay! Anything is possible!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not even remotely possible.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

That is not even remotely possible.

Bob

Depends on what he means by edited and saved as an InDesign file...

If you Place (File > Place...) a layered .psd file you cannot edit the pixels, but you can show or hide inidvidual layers (Right click on it and choose Object Layer Options...). You can then save your document as a .indd file with a linked image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if it's possible to bring the Photoshop file into InDesign so that all the layers are visible under the layers panel in addition to visually being visible in the Placed file.

It doesn't need to be edited again in InDesign but all of the separate layers need to be made visible under the layers panel on the right side similar to how they show in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not possible. A placed image is a single object on a single layer. Best you can do is the layer visibility as outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you.

Someone had mentioned the possibility of saving each individual layer in Photoshop as a png file and importing into Indesign and adjusting it in there - does that sound possible? I'm quite new with the programs so just trying to figure out my options before havnig to resort to completely re-doing the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't adjust images in InDesign, you just can't. (Only tiny exception, you can colorize non-transparent grayscale or B/W images.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyTienN wrote:

Someone had mentioned the possibility of saving each individual layer in Photoshop as a png file and importing into Indesign and adjusting it in there

What do you mean by "adjust"? Editing of Photoshop images should be done in Photoshop.

Sure, it's possible to save individual layers from an image in Photoshop as inidvidual files in a variety of formats, but what's the point? You could just as easily import the layered file, then copy/paste it into a new layer for each layer in the image and use layer visibility to control which ones show. I don't think that will do you a lot of good, though, if you use adjustment layers or opacity controls on the layer in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do, is to place a PSD or PDF several times on the same place but when importing (or later in Object Layer Settings) to select only one layer for each placement. So each layer is placed as a seperate image.

I thnk it should be possible to script this.

A layerd file from psd cannot be coloured in InDesign as it is possible with 1-bit or greyscale images without layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly Bob, that's the way I need to be spoken to in these types of situations. Respect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, as answers like this don't contribute at all to people finding a solution that works for them.

Additionally, language isn't an exact science and massive misunderstandings can arise from either bad writing by the person asking, or bad reading comprehension on the part of the person asking. (both of which I've come across countless times.)

For example, I have comic panels as photoshop layers, which I want to adjust to an additional alternative layout.

I would argue that answers such as "that's not what InDesign is for" are bogus in such a case, as this is clearly a matter of layout.

And insisting panels be redrawn for an alternative layout is nonsensical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am currently using multiple instances of the linked Photoshop file, with layers hidden or shown, but this seems a suboptimal solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be...as psd layers support in illustrator. Otherwise Adobe should do something and work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tabrez1215 schrieb:

It should be...as psd layers support in illustrator. Otherwise Adobe should do something and work on it.

No, it should not be, as InDesign is a layout application and has a complete different target to work with. Layers in Photoshop are different than InDesign layer or Illustrator Layers. Opening a PSD file in Illustrator can keep the layers alive, but not under all circumstances, in many cases you have to choose between single layers or the correct appearance, both is often impossible.

InDesign allows you to use Photoshop's Layer Composition and you can place the same file several times with different Layer Composition settings.

In InDesign (and Illustrator) a layer can contain different types of content, in Photoshop not (except Smart Objects, but these are united as one single layer there).

In InDesign you can have Objects with different color spaces even on the same layer, in Photoshop not.

I think there is no need to have this in InDesign as it would cause more problem than advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD Layers ae supported in Illustrator, but there's no way I know of to get to those Layers individually. If there is, please enlighten us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I found an answer to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh71QTBN1D0

Basically you can create a dynamic link between photoshop and indesign. Place your layered photoshop document on the indesign document, and if you want to make changes to the placed PSD file, you can alt (or option) > double click on the psd file on Indesign, and that will bring up Photoshop. Make desired change, and save and the psd file will automatically update in indesign (yay! Anything is possible!)

In this live stream, Adobe Evangelist Terry White shows a few advantages of using layered Photoshop files in your next layout. Also check out my gear guide and product recommendations here: https://www.amazon.com/shop/terrywhite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines