Highlighted

How to Import Endnotes in InDesign?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am compiling my Endnotes for an academic book and I can see that the references are being created in a single text frame at the end of the document, but to my surprise, when the endnotes reach the end of the text frame, they simply keep going. I have somewhere around 180 endnotes and almost all of them are overloaded text in the text frame. 

How do I get the endnotes to display properly over several pages. In other words, how do I export my document for print and have all the endnotes displayed correctly, rather than hiding as overloaded text in the frame?

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

You'll first need to add a page, then thread the frame with your endnotes to display the rest of the text.

1. In the Window > Pages panel, right + click on the page with your text, then choose Insert Pages...

2. In the Insert Pages dialog, add 1 page after the current page.

Screenshot 2020-04-25 13.27.56.png

3. With the original page with text showing, click on the text frame with the Selection Tool. In the lower right corner, you should see the text port with a red plus sign.

Screenshot 2020-04-25 13.28.31.png
4. Click on the port, navigate to the page you just added, hold down the Shift Key and click on the page. That will flow the rest of the text into the document and create as many pages as needed.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to Import Endnotes in InDesign?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am compiling my Endnotes for an academic book and I can see that the references are being created in a single text frame at the end of the document, but to my surprise, when the endnotes reach the end of the text frame, they simply keep going. I have somewhere around 180 endnotes and almost all of them are overloaded text in the text frame. 

How do I get the endnotes to display properly over several pages. In other words, how do I export my document for print and have all the endnotes displayed correctly, rather than hiding as overloaded text in the frame?

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

You'll first need to add a page, then thread the frame with your endnotes to display the rest of the text.

1. In the Window > Pages panel, right + click on the page with your text, then choose Insert Pages...

3. With the original page with text showing, click on the text frame with the Selection Tool. In the lower right corner, you should see the text port with a red plus sign.

4. Click on the port, navigate to the page you just added, hold down the Shift Key and click on the page. That will flow the rest of the text into the document and create as many pages as needed.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David

That technique works but the question is. Why does Indesign do this? Why doesn't all the text flow? I have been reflowing the final  pages of endnotes for ages but why does this text not flow like all the other?

Ian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 0
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check InDesign Preferences, Text. See if Smart reflows is enabled and what options are set.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not that Frans. I have tried every option but no luck. I have told Indesign about this but still no improvement.

Ian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

We're extremely sorry about the inconvenience caused. I would request if you could share this on our userVoice page (https://indesign.uservoice.com/). This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

If you have already done that, could you please share the link here. I can forward this to our Product team and others can also upvote that.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2020 0
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

just a variant of your solution without the need to add a new page:

1. Select the text frame with the red plus sign indicating overset text.

2. Click the red plus sign of the selected text frame to load the overflow text to the cursor.

3. Remove the text frame with the red plus sign using the Delete key on the keyboard.
( No fear, the text of the removed text frame will also be inside the loaded cursor… )

4. Hold down the Shift key and let the text flow with a click to the margin area on the page.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2020 0