• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make object placement relative to margin?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a two-page master that has a header (chapter) and footer (document number and page number) that align right for odd pages and left for even pages.  The master has a primary text box.  On the pages where we add content, we have a combination of elements: the primary text box, images, secondary text boxes, etc.  For now, the primary text box is centered, and all secondary elements are placed in relation to the boundaries of that text box.

We have been having some issues with content printed on the inside margin of the page getting "caught" in the binding when we print the books.  I would like to adjust the masters so that the inside margins are moved out a bit, and I know how to do that.

We use the book build function to build multiple individual documents into one book.  We sync the styles and it adjusts the position of the header/footer so that they're always on the correct side of the page. 

My problem lies with the secondary text boxes and images.  They seem to be locked to a specific x,y coordinate on the page.  Is there a way to lock them to the margin?    In the image below, could I lock the right side of this warning call out to the right margin?  That way, if it ends up on the opposite hand page when the book is built, it will still be in the correct position?

warning.png

For example, that element may be on an odd (right hand) page when the individual document is created, but it may end up on an even (left hand) page when all of the individual documents are book built.  Let's say I have the following documents that get built together into a book, and let's say this item is on page C1.

When the documents are created

A1

A2

B1

C1

C2   C3

When the book is built

A1

A2   B1

C1   C2

C3

C1 was originally a right hand page, but became a left hand page during the book building process.  If the element's position is relative to the right hand margin, it will move along with the different margin positions for right v. left, I would think.

Is there a way to do this?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Option 1:

Go to your master page spread.

Go to Layout > Margins and Columns 

Turn on Adjust Layout.

Increase the Inside margin; decrease the Outside margin by the exact same amount. 

Repeat for other master spreads unless you are using based-on masters.

Leave Ajust Layout on.

Option 2: Use anchored objects and place in text flow. Multiple objects need to be grouped before anchoring.

Option 3: Center your inside and outside margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 1:

Go to your master page spread.

Go to Layout > Margins and Columns 

Turn on Adjust Layout.

Increase the Inside margin; decrease the Outside margin by the exact same amount. 

Repeat for other master spreads unless you are using based-on masters.

Leave Ajust Layout on.

Option 2: Use anchored objects and place in text flow. Multiple objects need to be grouped before anchoring.

Option 3: Center your inside and outside margins.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had already done option 1 of adjusting the masters.  Option 2 worked for ensuring additional objects shifted correctly.  Thank you!  (And we were avoiding Option 3 -- that's what we had been doing and it was leading to the objects getting caught in the binding.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines