• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move an object more precisely with the arrow keys

Participant ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holiday greetings all, trust everyone is keeping safe and healthy!

Now for my question. I need to move graphics/objects within a document to precisely align them visually (Ctrl-4) within columns.

Snap to grid/guides is turned off because the bounding boxes aren't consistent in size so I need to move them by eyeball and mouse so the border within the graphic itself aligns with the column guides.

But moving them with the arrow keys overshoots where I want them and seems always to snap to the guides even though I have that turned off. Is there a way to adjust the movement settings for the arrow keys so they aren't as "macro", when I need them to be "micro"?

When I press and hold with the mouse so I can move more precisely, they still seem to snap to the column guides even though "snap to" is turned off.

I haven't explained this very well at all in my frustration, I'm hoping someone can figure out what I mean 🙂

Many thanks for time and input!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

You can set the cursor-key increments in Preferences > Units and Increments.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the cursor-key increments in Preferences > Units and Increments.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!

HAPPY DANCE!! Thanks SO much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you press simultaneously on Cmd (Mac) and Shift, or Ctrl (Windows) and Shift while using the arrow keys, you divide the increment by 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks folks, you've no idea how much this has helped. Appreciate you being here! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023. There is no such setting in my version of photoshop. Nor can you find a preferenc by searchingfor "Increments". Please provide an updated answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread/forum is about InDesign, not Photoshop. Head over to a Photoshop forum and try your luck there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FloridaGal,

another option is to use a document grid so if you move or change the size of an object, frame edges will snap to the grid.

Preferences > Grids > Document Grid

View > Grids & Guides > Snap to Document Grid

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the InDesign help file (Windows/Macintosh):

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.ug.html

image.pngimage.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines