Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW TO: Multipage PDF in InDesign with a Dieline

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! 

I am looking for a way to create a multipage PDF in InDesign WITH a DIE LINE. Hoping to eliminate a time consuming step of doing so manually, especially since there will be a total of 3,500 stickers when the job is complete.  Die line will not be a traditional square cut, client wants circles.

Heres the job for the client:

500 hard hat stickers numerically numbered starting from 0001 - 0501. Take this multipage PDF and then create a cut file with a software for routing using a DIE LINE. 

I first created the (unumbered) PDF as a template in Adobe Illustrator. I saved out the file and imported it into InDesign with excess bleed. Our router software will sometimes crash if we try to add bleed when in the software from the file normally. Because the software is so old and needs an update, I avoid this step by adding bleed and then adding the die line overtop in Illustrator on a seperate layer as a SPOT COLOR. 

This time, given the large order I am creating a dual set up. Half in illustrator and half in InDesign. 

File size with bleed is 3.75x3.75"

File size once cut to size will be 3.5x3.5"

I know how to create a data merge and have already done so for my mac in excel. I took the .txt file and performed the data merge in InDesign. Everything looks great.  Now my question is, is there a way to create a DIE LINE in InDesign and have it exported and still be recognized in the software for production?  Does this process somewhere already exist and am I possibly creating things the hard way? 

The picture I have attached with the die line is a die line file on a seperate layer in InDesign imported as a PDF. the file was not created in InDesign and my software for production is not recognizing it as a dieline. 

Any help is very much appreciated! 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Hi Designer050514,

a dieline is nothing very special, I think.

It's just a vector path, in your case a circle, with a thin stroke colored with a spot color that perhaps could be named just "DieLine". The important thing here is: The stroke of this element must be set to "overprint". You do that by selecting the object, your circle, and tick the right option in the Attributes panel of InDesign.

If size and position of the object is always the same on every page, put it on a master page on an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What filetype does your router need?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Designer050514,

a dieline is nothing very special, I think.

It's just a vector path, in your case a circle, with a thin stroke colored with a spot color that perhaps could be named just "DieLine". The important thing here is: The stroke of this element must be set to "overprint". You do that by selecting the object, your circle, and tick the right option in the Attributes panel of InDesign.

If size and position of the object is always the same on every page, put it on a master page on an extra layer on top of every other layer. If that master, by default the A-Master, is applied on every document page, the die line will appear on every page exported to PDF as overprinting spot color element.

Check with your printers how that spot color should be named exactly.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines