• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to open Indesign 2020 file in Indesign 2019

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi how to open Indesign 2020 file in Indesign 2019,is it possible if yes please let me know the process.

Regard's

sudhir

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Save it as an IDML document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save it as an IDML document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the INDD file in 2020 as IDML to make it open it in CC2019. A good method is to macke a package File > Packa for Print, found either in the File menu or if you work with an INDB file it is found in the INDB Panel menu, there tick to export aside with the INDD also PDF and IDML. This will include all links.

BUt be aware, CC 2019 does not support new font types or file types like svg links which were added in ID 2020. Those links have to be replaced with other file types and those fonts have to be replaced with compatible fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overall, Adobe is not being very considerate of their customers. Why put a version that we can't open. I have an older mac that is still in great working condition but I have maxed out my OS updates. Now Adobe comes and puts a version that only works on the newest OS. It's not helpful at all. Wasn't planing on having to buying a new computer for the sake of using Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically I should agree with this, as my very own Mac is also too old for the Very Latest Hip State Of The Art OS

... but on the other hand, don't you think it's kinda unfair to blame Adobe for requiring a fast system with lots of memory? I don't think they would be able to make the current version of InDesign run on my first PC (~1989), even though I may believe it's not very considerate of them to not even try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not asking for you to create a version for 1989. I am saying an Operating system that is less than 3 years old. At least give us a full presidential term before making your product inconvient for many of your users. I buy a new computer every 5 years. So I am not the type of individual that doesn't want to move with the times. But computers are expensive. I am not buying new computers every year because Adobe Software developers want to show off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like your beef is with Apple, not Adobe.

If you've maxed out the ability to upgrade the O/S I'm guessing that machine is the better part of 10 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, you are spot on, mine is exactly that old!

Purely technically there is nothing wrong with it – except that it just can't run 2019s software.

I am awaiting a spanking new shiny high-rez Mac outfitted with a fast drive and loads of memory as we speak. With some luck it'll again work for a decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac was made in 2015. The OS software update came out just last year. Stop with the excuses for lazy developers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, why can't you update the operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 1.30.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also my situation too 😞
I run Sierra on a 10 year old imac, which is still perfect. But now cannot upgrade to Catalina or Mojave, so cannot upgrade to ID2020. I am running ID2019 - only 1 version back - so I should be able to open an idml file!!! So what is actually the point of the idml feature now then?! Very frustrating not being able to open client files when paying for the most current software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't open the IDML file, there's something wrong with the file or your machine. Since you're told us absolutely nothing nobody can help you...and I will be point out if your machine is 10 years old and can't be upgraded it's far from perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's as high as the OS goes on this machine. But stop with acting like the computer is some ancient piece of crap. Part of development is solving problems for multiple platforms. You should be able to open a Indesign 2020 file with 2019 without any hindrance. That's not a lot to ask for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You clearly do not know what you're talking about. It would take about one hour to upgrade that machine to Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly my situation.  I have an 8 year old MacBook Pro.  It works just great.  No issues for years and years.  And, no with Adobe programs.  Now, I cannot upgrade to the latest Mac OS due to the CPU issue.  And, just trusting Adobe I hit the "upgrade" on inDesign and now none of my old documents will open.  Program crashes every time.  I am a professional writer and this is a BIG big big big issue for me.  I am not going to shell out $3K for a new laptop when this one is just fine (for now).  I have documents and graphics dating back as much as 12 years.  I would really like to back-date to an older version of InDesign, but THAT also seems to be non-viable.  I am presently looking for an alternate DTP program.

I did work out a work-around through Acrobat and MS Word, but I lost almost 2 months of work.  I sincerely doubt Adobe is going to reimburse me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

on the other hand InDesign 2020 should be running on Windows 7.

That was confirmed lately. Mac OS X is a different issue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm not a PC user as most Graphic Designers which I would imagine is a huge portion of your customer base. Mac OS Version 10.12 is only 3 years old. It shouldn't be disregarded this soon by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a larger base of Windows users than many would imagine and again, it's your hardware that's too old to upgrade an operating system, it's likely time to replace it.

Look, I get it, nobody wants to spend any money anymore, but Adobe has limited development resources and testing for operating systems that a majority of their users don't use is a waste of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 3 year old OS shouldn't be disregared by developers. I am a web developer. Do you know how much I would love to disregard I.E. all together? But that would be bad for my clients and their users. 

I don't mind spending money. I buy a new computer every 5 years. But I don't want any software company to start making it a habit to disregard systems less than 5 years old. That's a bit much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They aren't eliminating hardware, they are eliminating the need to test on operating systems that are not widely used. If they were, this forum would be flooded with complaints.

Again, if your computer is so old you can't upgrade the O/S, then it's far more than 5 years old.

BTW, the bulk of my business is websites now and I am very clear upfront. I don't support IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod said: You should be able to open a Indesign 2020 file with 2019 without any henderance. That's not a lot to ask for.

Hi,

even when on OS X 10.12.6 you should be able to do exactly this using InDesign's Saveback service.

For that you have to be online because it's a Creative Cloud Service that will take your InDesign 2020 document, open it with an InDesign Server somewhere in the cloud, exports an IDML file and sends it back to your machine as InDesign CC 2019 document.

The service should show a Convert window like that:

SavebackService-Convert-Window-1.PNG

Hit button Convert, wait a while until the service has finished:

SavebackService-Convert-Window-2.PNG

Then the converted document should be available with InDesign CC 2019.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. But that's no different than trying to open an IDML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Loufitzer said:

…But now cannot upgrade to Catalina or Mojave, so cannot upgrade to ID2020. I am running ID2019 - only 1 version back - so I should be able to open an idml file!!! …

Hi Loufitzer,

if you are online and you have InDesign CC 2019 installed with a regular Creative Cloud subscription, you should be able to open an InDesign 2020 document ( not only a IDML file, just an InDesign document saved with InDesign 2020 ) with an Adobe cloud service for InDesign with InDesign CC 2019.

That's the InDesign Saveback Service. Details in my reply from Nov 21, 2019:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-open-indesign-2020-file-in-indesign-2019/m-p/10754796...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines