Highlighted

How to place multi page Word document

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We can use Shift + Click to insert multi-page Word document into InDesign.

How can I do it using CEP extension/script? Right now, using place only 1st page of Word Document is getting inserted.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to place multi page Word document

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We can use Shift + Click to insert multi-page Word document into InDesign.

How can I do it using CEP extension/script? Right now, using place only 1st page of Word Document is getting inserted.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you could trust an automation mechanism that can be turned on or off with InDesign's preferences to add pages and thread the needed text frames: Preferences > Type > Smart Text Reflow or you could add pages and thread text frames until all the contents is visible on the pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know if that can be done using CEP extension i.e. JavaScript/ExtendScript because I am bit new to InDesing and unable to find Smart Text Reflow option in CEP tutorial.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. You have to study the vast ExtendScript DOM documentation of InDesign compiled by Gregor Fellenz:

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#about.html

Let's assume you know that Smart Text Reflow could be a property of the app or an individual document.

Further, in the UI it obviously has to do with preferences and text. Because I already dealt with it I knew that there are textPreferences. So I searched for textPreferences in the documentation and found this:

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#TextPreference.html

Here all the properties you need ( and also a lot you do not need ) are listed.

app.documents[0].textPreferences.smartTextReflow = true ;

That would basically turned it on or off. But look also into other properties that come along with it:

preserveFacingPageSpreads

limitToMasterTextFrames

etc.pp.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

But I am facing one issue that:

If I open new document with Primary Text Frame enabled manually without script then Smart Text Reflow works,

But if I create a new document using app.documents.add() then  Smart Text Reflow is not working. I am using following options. Please check what I might be missing?

app.activeDocument.documentPreferences.createPrimaryTextFrame = true;
app.activeDocument.textPreferences.smartTextReflow = true;

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0