• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to place multiple images in a specific order?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to place over 100 images into a long document.  I have the source images labelled and sorted in sequence but when they load into InDesign, they are out of order.  

As you can image, it will be incredibly inefficient to figure out where each image needs to go.  I want to be able to place them into each image container as I go through the document.

I feel like this should be easy to figure out but I've had no luck searching the internet or this forum.

Thanks.

Leanne

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

I assume you are referring to selecting multiple images in the Place dialogue and loading the place cursor with them. The images are not out of order, they are in alphabetical order. If you rename the files by, for example, numbering them, they will place in the order you want. I don’t know how you want the files sorted (by size, by date, or by some less automatable means). Either way, rename them and they will place in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are referring to selecting multiple images in the Place dialogue and loading the place cursor with them. The images are not out of order, they are in alphabetical order. If you rename the files by, for example, numbering them, they will place in the order you want. I don’t know how you want the files sorted (by size, by date, or by some less automatable means). Either way, rename them and they will place in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott Falkner you assumed correctly what I'm trying to do.  My files are numbered in the order in which I want to load them.  The file names are long, so I'll try to shorten them and see what happens.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott Falkner 

It worked!  I renamed the files so they were only numbers and that seemed to do the trick.  Kind of annoying that it didn't recognize the numberical order of the original filenames, but I'm thrilled they loaded properly!

Many thanks!!

Leanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leanne,

you said: "Kind of annoying that it didn't recognize the numberical order of the original filenames, but I'm thrilled they loaded properly!"

Roland Dreger wrote a script that could sort loaded files in the place cursor ( the place gun ) :

sortFilesBeforePlace_startup.jsx

https://www.rolanddreger.net/de/11/vor-dem-platzieren-sortieren/#

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The script helped a lot, thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines