Highlighted

How to preserve paragraph indentation when exporting to EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a book in InDesign using the paragraph style for paragraph indents, no tabs, but when I export it all my indents disappear and everything is flush left. How do I get the paragraph indents to survive the export?

Thanks

I think I figured it out. I used the Basic Paragraph Style to format my paragraphs, but when I created a new paragraph style and used that in place of the Basic Paragraph Style, it worked. 

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to preserve paragraph indentation when exporting to EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a book in InDesign using the paragraph style for paragraph indents, no tabs, but when I export it all my indents disappear and everything is flush left. How do I get the paragraph indents to survive the export?

Thanks

I think I figured it out. I used the Basic Paragraph Style to format my paragraphs, but when I created a new paragraph style and used that in place of the Basic Paragraph Style, it worked. 

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide a little more information…

• EPUB (Reflowable) or EPUB (Fixed Layout)
  • Version 2 or Version 3
  • etc...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflowable. Epub 3. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you indented your paragraphs using a Paragraph Style that included a first line indent and you didn't use tabs or keyboard spaces for the indent?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. I also used the export tagging. The image shows the indent settings and the Export Tags. The next shows what it looks like in Indesign and how it comes out in Epub with everything flush left. I need to have the paragraphs indented so readers can tell where the paragraph separationsimage.png are.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done!

Reflowable ePubs are full of trip-ups.

Don't forget to validate your ePub and test it on various devices and readers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines