• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to preserve vertical text in 'Fixed-Format' ePubs?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting a textbook as a Fixed-Format ePub via InDesign 2020 but noticed vertical text get exported horizontally instead! Here is an example of what I mean:

Capture.JPG

Here's how it should look like:

Capture.JPG

Does anyone know how I can preserve the text rotation? There are hundreds of examples of this issue in the book. Would there be a 'global' setting/CSS to resolve this?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you reading the EPUB? Anything but the Books app on iOS or Mac is a crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment 🙂 I'm using Kindle Previewer and Calibre to preview the ePubs.... the text orientation shows up incorrectly on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check it out using the Books app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got a download link for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Books is only available for the Mac and iOS platforms. I assume that you are running Windows?

A good multi-platform reader is Thorium. It should retain your formatting, but unfortunately it does mean that to view your ebooks correctly each Windows and Linux user will be forced to install Thorium. As Bob Levine pointed out, fixed layout epubs or epubs with "special" text formatting (such as vertical text) will most probably break on any other reader but for Apple Books or Thorium.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

Do not expect the Kindle reader to display such complex CSS formatted text correctly. The solution is to forego text, and convert anything more complex than regular formatted text, headings, tables, lists, etc. to an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gareth,

I fear this is a bug with InDesign's export to Fixed Layout EPUB.

A workaround would be to use a separate table in a separate text frame that is rotated.

Think, we recently had a case like that in the forum.

FWIW: Did not test this.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gareth,

hi rayek_elfin,

tested rotated text in table cells with InDesign 15.1.1.103 on Windows 10.

InDesign's EPUB Interactivity Preview panel is already showing the bug:

BUG-RotatedTextInTableCells-1.PNG

Consequently the Windows EPUB viewer and also Thorium are showing the same:

BUG-RotatedTextInTableCells-2.PNG

BUG-RotatedTextInTableCells-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you are looking for a bug report in InDesign UserVoice or doing your own report there:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs?category_id=209104&filter=top&page=...

FWIW: With Publish Online there is no bug with text rotation in table cells:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/6daea8fb-84ba-4ae5-94bb-f7c30843eb9a

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish online converts the entire thing to a SVG. Basically cheating, because the text and table is converted to pure vectors. Its solution is identical to my previous advise: convert the table to a graphic. No text is retained.

At least the epub export attempts to retain the text as text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PS In my opinion this is not a bug, but merely an unsupported feature in epubs. Beyond simple formatting, the epub format is as fragile as a house of crystal cards. Not the fault of InDesign or the developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines