• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Print Booklet as a pdf in high resolution for printer?

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to send a printer a booklet in 2-up saddle stitch, but I need it to be in high resolution since I have a variety of photos within.

If I choose "File > Export", I'm able to set the "Compression" to Do Not Downsample for all the images. That give me a large sized pdf but it's not in 2-up.

When I select "File > Print as Booklet" I'm able to choose 2-up saddle stitch, but I can't find any options to set the image quality. If I choose "Printer Settings" in the Print as Booklet window, the only option I see is under "Advanced", and change the Transparency Filter to: High Resolution, but that doesn't seem to make much difference.  The only way I can get a larger pdf is changing the "Printer" from PDF to PostScript File, and using the Distiller with the correct settings.  I would think I should be able to bypass the Distiller and export the PDF directly from InDesign.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

There is simply no modern way to do this. You’ll need to print to pdf and / or postscript and distill.

You’re working with a printer living in the mid 1980’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the printer is insisting on this, find another printer. Imposition is the printer’s job.

If you’re just assuming you need to do this, stop and export a proper PDF and send that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not in charge of choosing the printer. Exporting it the way they would like is not a big deal to me, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is simply no modern way to do this. You’ll need to print to pdf and / or postscript and distill.

You’re working with a printer living in the mid 1980’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam. I've had the same request from a client who has already chosen the printer. Bob, yeah, they're old school, but sometimes it's cool to be the nice-guy and try to figure this out. So I did. It's a total work-around, and you guys will probably hate it, but I got on here looking for the fix, and here it is. You can:

1. Print Booklet to a postscript file, and then go back and distill it, as found in other threads, or...

2. (and here's the crazy workaround), a. Make sure your pages aren't set in the Master Page settings as automatically paginating. You will have to go through and hand-key each page onto each layout to be sure they're in the right place.

b. Rearrange your pages in printer's spreads. So, run the cover as a separate file, insert a blank page for each on your interior spreads.

i. So to do printer spreads, you need to have the following set up. My example is for a 32 page book, where p1 and p32 are blank.

2 31
30 3
4 29
28 5
6 27
26 7
8 25
24 9
10 23
22 11
12 21
20 13
14 19
18 15
16 17

ii. Do a quick check through to be sure that all your page numbers are still correct.

c. Then export your document as a press-ready PDF, with all the settings as desired.

That should do the trick. I'm doing this from memory so if I've missed a step, reply here and let me know if something didn't quite work right.

I do realize you posted your issue a while ago, and for sure found a way to make it work, but since that was never posted here, I figured I'd post my solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the printer explicitly asking for an imposed document, or are you assuming that‘s what they require? A printer wouldn’t typically want a client doing imposition because the client can’t know the press and bindery info required for the imposition—sounds like a misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to impose the pages myself so that I can make a proof to review before sending anywhere. I'd like to avoid going through the Postscript route, also. When talking to the client's printer, she kept showing me - Print Booklet>Printer: Adobe PDF. I don't have that option. I kept telling them I do not have that option. I think it might be a Mac vs PC issue...? Surely there's a better way....

The only other option I've read was to create a new Document, and pull in the Original File in the imposed order....

Please advise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If all you need is an inhouse booklet for proofing, export a proper PDF and use Acrobat's booklet printing feature. This discussion, being three years old and answered is now locked. If you need more help, please start a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines