• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to "Add an image" form field in InDesign rather than adding later in Acrobat.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating an interactive pdf form in InDesign. There does not seem to be a way to create a form field to let the end user "add an image". The only way I have found to do this is to first, export the InDesign document as an Interactive pdf, then open the pdf in Acrobat and click the "Prepare Form" option. At this stage you can click the "Add an Image Field" button which lets you click and drag a box in the location of your choosing.

Is there a way to create the "add an image" field directly in InDesign? This document is something that I need to update from time to time. Any time I need to make edits to the InDesign document, I have to export a new interactive pdf and then recreate the "Add an Image field" boxes in Acrobat. This seems like extra work that could be avoided if those "add an image" boxes were created/saved in the original InDesign document.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Hi Tim:

InDesign only supports some of the form controls that Acrobat offers. The rest—like image fields—still need to be done in Acrobat. You can add a feature request here: Adobe InDesign Feedback .

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim:

InDesign only supports some of the form controls that Acrobat offers. The rest—like image fields—still need to be done in Acrobat. You can add a feature request here: Adobe InDesign Feedback .

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Barb's answer.

There is already a thread on the uservoice: More options when creating Forms via InDesign – Adobe InDesign Feedback  HOWEVER it has been marked as FIXED, though I believe this is incorrect.

Nevertheless, I've started a new request:

Add additional interactive options to the buttons and forms panel – Adobe InDesign Feedback

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Now there are seven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this Add an Image field in Acrobat? Don't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a feature added recently (a couple of years) to the subscription version of Acrobat Pro DC, and which also requires the end user to have a recent Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. That's the only work-around I can find too. I'm very disappointed I can't do this in InDesign!

Jo Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this question has just been asked again on the forum, and is clearly something that would be useful to users, here's a link to my recent answer:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/insert-photo-with-button-in-pdf/m-p/13859396#M52...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can create a rectangle within InDesign and make it into a button field.

Then Create an Interactive PDF.

In Acrobat go to Prepare Form and Properties for that field.

Got to the actions tab, select Mouse Up as the trigger, then Run a Javascript as the Action

Then enter event.target.buttonImportIcon(); as the script.

Hit Close and you then have an image field.

There are 2 issues though

It will always view as the top layer once an image has been entered.

You can only use rectangles & not shapes.

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines