• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to restrict pdf files from copying and editing

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am planning to sell PDF artwork online so my customers will be able to download and print files at home. I have set a password for my pdf files in Indesign to restrict editing. When I drag and drop the pdf file in Illustrator, it requires entering a password which is very good. However, it isn’t working with Preview (mac)! When I open Preview, there’s a thumbnail on the left bar where I can still drag and drop my work in Illustrator with all the layers. Does anyone know how to fix that? Thank you!!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

I'm afraid that trying to secure a PDF file so it can't be edited is a hopeless endeavor. There is no way to do it. There are hundreds of PDF readers, many of which ignore the password. There are also lots of utilities on the Internet which will allow anyone to open a PDF file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that trying to secure a PDF file so it can't be edited is a hopeless endeavor. There is no way to do it. There are hundreds of PDF readers, many of which ignore the password. There are also lots of utilities on the Internet which will allow anyone to open a PDF file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I'm afraid that trying to secure a PDF file so it can't be edited is a hopeless endeavor. 

Steve is right. Even if you think that he not right — somewhere Russian hackers thinks as Steve.

https://www.elcomsoft.com/apdfpr.html

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Um, what's the point here?

Steve is right...the only way to protect a PDF is to not share it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines