• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save pages as JPEG / PNG in multi-page PDF export? Possible script?

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I need to find a way to make quick/low file size PDF exports of a portfolio. The file is big, which is expected, but takes a long time to export as PDF. However, it takes no time ro export in raster formats. Which leads me to ask if there's a function in InDesign, that converts each page as JPEG / PNG then complies these in a PDF?

Many thanks  

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Not sure if it will help with your export time, but you can force the entire page to rasterize by including a transparent object on each spread, and exporting with Compatibility set to Acrobat 4. The transparent object can be fully transparent and placed anywhere on the Master spreads. The Acrobat 4 export will let you choose a Transparency Flattener preset from the Advanced tab, and you can make a Flattener Preset that forces all rasters. Something like this:

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

What are you export settings for the PDF? it may be that we can alter them to enable a faster creation of the PDF.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya, i have attached screenshots of general and compression settings. Please let me know if there is already a 'rasterizer' function in InDesign PDF exporter, or if a script exists. 

General.JPG

compression.JPG

summary.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long does the PDF export take? Have you tried exporting a few pages at a time to test whether there is an object somewhere that is causing the slow export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adekunleawodele said:

…Which leads me to ask if there's a function in InDesign, that converts each page as JPEG / PNG then complies these in a PDF?

Hi,

if the exported PNGs or JPGs are sufficient for your workflow you could open them in Acrobat Pro DC as PDF and save them. This should be possible with the contents of a whole folder.

In Acrobat Pro:

File > Create > Combine Files into a Single PDF…

File > Create > Create Multiple PDF Files…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Uwe Laubender!

I figured it would have to be a two-step process, which is okay, as it is still quicker than the normal process of exporting. I work with a lot of heavy vector drawings, hi-res JPEGs and more vectors indesign. Only when i want a final draft will i wait for it.

I saw this sript https://www.drscripto.com/indesign-export-as-rasterized-pdf/    which provides exaclty what i want, but at a price i am not ready to pay. Only if, this is built into InDesign next time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if it will help with your export time, but you can force the entire page to rasterize by including a transparent object on each spread, and exporting with Compatibility set to Acrobat 4. The transparent object can be fully transparent and placed anywhere on the Master spreads. The Acrobat 4 export will let you choose a Transparency Flattener preset from the Advanced tab, and you can make a Flattener Preset that forces all rasters. Something like this:

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines