• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to scroll between pages in interactive pdf that has been published online?

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a 60+ page document on InDesign that is an interactive pdf that is published online. My supervisor has asked whether we can make it so that people on computers can simply scroll down on their mouse in order to see the next page rather than having to manually click the clunky "next page" button on the right. I cannot find this online. If this were a static pdf, then this would be possible. But how can I make it so that people can simply scroll up and down to see the next page spread? Thanks. 

Screen Capture No Scroll.JPG

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work with Interactive PDFs, but it might depend on how someone is viewing it. Are these viewed through a web browser, Acrobat, Reader, Preview, or does it depend on what ever the viewer has? On a computer, you can use the directional arrows or the page-up or page-down buttons in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hosted online. We would send people the URL and they would view it on their browser. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is NOT a PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am speaking about the "interactive for PDF" option. It's published and hosted online. I am asking if there is a way to have it be scrollable. Screenshot for Interactive PDF.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confusing a few things:  you can export an iPDF that results in a file you can open in Acrobat, what you show here is Publish online, that is an HTML5 file hosted online and has nothing to do with PDF, as Bob already pointed out. And those do not 'scroll'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to instead publish a pdf file online (instead of this html5 file) that would maintain the interactive features but also allow the scroll? Or no? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can host the .pdf on the web. you need acces to a web server space where you can host the file and sent out a link.

Or 

you can upload to dropbox (or other similar products) and sent out a link

HOWEVER:

the .pdf needs to be dowloaded since web browswers will not play the .pdf ( as in they wont play whatever you have on it ex: animaitons or popups.. so on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And hosting the pdf online will retain its interactive features? Buttons, scroll overs, fade ins, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And hosting the pdf online will retain its interactive features? Buttons, scroll overs, fade ins, etc.?"

Not a change! You simply do not know which browser, plug in, which version, how old, which system etc. etc. the user is using to begin with, but it will not work in any browser and certainly not on a tablet. So use Publish online and forget your wish to scroll would be mine advice.

(Or go to FXL ePub as alternative but also be aware that such an ePub is also dependent on the reader it is opened in, on a Mac it will be fine, under Windows not so fine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They will retain within the file, the will not work in the .pdf reader in the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @catalogue for pg58993114:

Some interactivity is supported and PDF and some is not.

This page has an up-to-date list of what is not (or no longer) supported in an interactive PDF: https://ajarproductions.com/blog/2018/03/26/interactive-pdf-is-dead-heres-what-you-can-create-from-i...

Buttons and rollovers will work in a PDF, along with hyperlinks, bookmarks and page transitions. Object fade-ins are animations, so those will not work. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What will work in a PDF when viewed in Acrobat Reader says nothing about what will work when the PDF is viewed in a browser online (like a tablet), as I read it that is what the question was about. I still stand by: forget it, 99% will not work when viewing the PDF online in a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc. Multi-state object (MSO) don’t work at all in an Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines